Pride of Aloha (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Too Crowded and "Out Of"

Sail Date: May 06, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The staff is overworked with 9 to 12 hour shifts per day without any days off for long stretches. We heard something about four month contracts and one fellow said he had to stay on the ship when he finally got a day off just to catch up with his laundry. The ship is overcrowded and pushy without enough seating and we heard "out of" all the time involving food items, cups, eating utensils, pool towels, etc. We booked several excursions through NCL, but when I booked a couple of more reasonably priced excursions through Roberts, two different NCL employees told me that they "didn't know" where the Roberts bus pulled up when it later pulled up in their plain sight. I feel like that the problem with NCL is upper level management which is so greedy that they will do themselves in. They should put their staff on reasonable shifts, not instruct them to lie and should not overbook the ship so that it is too crowded and constantly out of necessary items. They didn't even have quality coffee or tea, but weak or instant tasting stuff which, of course, they ran "out of" often. My daughter was ready to get off of the ship the third day, and unfortunately, my husband and I felt the same way. The itinerary is beautiful, but the cruise was not relaxing. Also, if you don't want to be trapped on a bus for five hours, don't book the Waimea Canyon excursion. There was very little getting out involved on that one. We cruised on Princess once before and we enjoyed the ship as much as the itinerary and excursions. However, on Pride of Aloha, we didn't breathe easy until we got off.

Pros: Itinerary

Recommends Pride of Aloha (RETIRED)? No.

Kahului, Maui
My husband played golf here and loved it.
Kahului, Maui
My husband played golf here and loved it.
Nawiliwili, Kauai
The Waimea Canyon tour was too much bus time, five hours, without much getting out. Hard to convince my daughter to try another tour after that. My husband played golf here and loved it.
Hilo, Hawaii
The Volcano National Park was fantastic. Loved the lava tube, steam vents and rainforest.
Don't Miss: Volcano National Park