Pride of Aloha (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Money NOT Well Spent

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

Please take a look at this rediculous letter I had to write over NCL's inability to take care of their customer in relation to an item which NCL lost.

To Whom It May Concern: August 14, 2007

Please accept this as a formal complaint for a lost item by the Pride of Aloha ship in your fleet. The way my situation has been handled comes with great regret on that part of this customer. Upon re-entering from Kauai on the Pride of Aloha on our recent cruise which departed on July 29th, my wife and I purchased an item that was confiscated and promised to be returned upon disembarkation. Unfortunately, the ball was dropped as the ships crew was unable to locate the item.
On Monday, August 6, 2007, I called your customer relations number which was given to me by the Pride of Alohas staff. I was told that the proper steps would be followed to see if the item showed up and that I should expect a return phone call within five business days. When I asked why such a thing should take so long, it was explained that the time change created the need for extra time. My initial thought was that the three hour time difference between Hawaii and my home location in California was only three hours and that five days seemed like an unnecessary amount of time to get back to a customer with a valid complaint. It was explained to me that the six hour time difference between Norwegian Cruise Lines office in Florida and the ships location in Hawaii was the need for the five days time it was going to take for a returned phone call. I had no idea such a severe time change of six hours could put such a cripple on a company as large as NCL, but I have since been corrected. Not surprisingly by the way NCL does business with their customers, but sure enough, five business days came and went without a returned call.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2007, I took it upon myself to call back and check on the status of my lost item. When I inquired as to why NCL had not returned my phone call within five business days as promised, I was then told that NCL only returns a call if the item is actually located. It turns out that the item was not located and that I apparently was supposed to get that information through some form of telekinesis, because it would certainly be unreasonable to think that NCL would actually return my call to tell me that bit of somewhat important information.
What a shame that your company does such shoddy business for their customers. For many people in the world, time is money. Well, so far Ive invested more of my time than should seem reasonable for a valued customer but intend to see this through based on pure principle. It should be made clear however that I do not work for NCL yet to me my time is money and I intend to see that NCL does what is necessary for me to feel like a satisfied customer. The item misplaced and lost was a candelabra and candle that was purchased by my wife as a sentimental gift for her mother who long ago had her honeymoon in Kauai.
Should you finally decide to do what is right for a valued customer of yours I would like to see that this items value is reimbursed to us along with the cost of shipping to replace the item from the company it was purchased from in Kauai. For my time invested in having to deal with this issue I would encourage some creativity on your part to make a discouraged customer understand the error of your ways. Please understand that I will be sending another letter which will fully outline the terrible service my wife and I received on the Pride of Aloha during our weeklong stay on the ship. This is only the tip of the ice berg, but quite a frozen tip for you to overcome. .

With Regret,

Pros: Dealing with the morons in NCL's Customer Relations office.

Cons: Just about everything related to the ship.

Recommends Pride of Aloha (RETIRED)? No.

Seen better, but the best time you'll have is in port anyway. At all costs, eat in port as much as possible, spend as much time in port as possible, and pray you don't have as miserable an experience my wife and I had. Or, take my advice and BOOK WITH ANOTHER CRUISE LINE.
If you want to actually eat food that even comes close to the quality of food you can eat on so many other cruise lines, you're going to have to pay the extra money to eat in one of NCL's additional-pay restaurants. Even the food there is nothing to get excited about, but at least is is edible. See my staff quality comment to understand what a disgrace the dining experience is, but basically plan on losing weight on this cruise because you're not likely going to want to eat much of what they are serving and you're certainly not going to enjoy the two hour waits to actually complete your dining experience.
Annoying loud noises come from the cruises' staff throughout all hours of the night.
If you read my letter to NCL you know where I stand on this topic. But, to make it more clear, our room steward had to be tracked down to put more soap in the shower dispenser and upon embarkation on the ship we opened out shower to find a left over razor from whoever previously stayed in the room. One night at dinner it took an hour and a half for a lady sitting with us to get a simple glass of wine. Another time at breakfast after waiting an hour for an omelette, a gentleman complained that it was not made as he specified and was warned that it could take up to another hour for the kitchen staff to re-make it and get it out to him.