Polynesia (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Polynesian Pleasure (Ship!)

Sail Date: July 01, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Some thngs I didn't mention below:
* This ship like the other Windjammers is just a dream to look at especially when you leave it anchored off an island or when you come back after a long hard but fun day in town/snorkeling etc.
* Swimming/jumping off the ship is a huge awesome bonus, it just feels like home for a week or however long you're not some darn plastic juggernaught with a skating rink or whatever.
* Windjammer doesn't generally follow a "the beverage you're about to enjoy is very hot take care" paradigm. Some activites could be a bit risky though noone got injured at all on our cruise. I have no problem with this, I just used common sense for both my and my 7 year old daughters safety and we had a blast. You will too, but if you need more hand holding, this isn't the trip for you!
* All the Windjammer first timers I talked to on this trip loved it and would do it again, this is only my 2nd time and I will do it again! I'm sure some people are dissapointed for some reason but I bet there aren't too many.

Pros: Relaxing, laissez-faire atmosphere and reality sailing in the Eastern Caribbean in a real ship :-)

Cons: Some folks in my group didn't take dramamine in time :-(

The Mandalay is a little more attractive of a ship but it's the wooden decks and stars at night that all these Tall Ships share so they are all GOLD - make no mistake about it.
Look folks, it's a sailing ship (ex: grand banks fishing) it's not the QE2, that said, the room is small but functional and I slept every night just fine. Next time I'd opt for a deck below the stateroom but a littel music until 11 p.m. never killed anyone either - sometimes it was a plus ;-)
To be sober for a moment, none was exceptional but that's not as important to me as the fact that everyone was pretty darned good, sometimes very good and all the people that got paid the least were always helpful and concerned for safety in a quiet unassumming but effective way
Good set of addon (for slight extra charge) activities on each island, good suggestions about free stuff. Pretty good on board entertainment (free) - take it or leave it. The Pirates P**ps P**st*tes party is always a good laugh, and for the uninitiated, it's safe harmless fun, or opt out and enjoy the view - everyone wins.
My daughter only used this a few times, but one time all day - see was guided safely and intelligently as far as I could see (when I did spying reconnasense a few times). The counselors are smart, fun people who had been around the block - and world - aplenty, no worries here. It was also nice that while there was a sign in/out process it was not red tape and kids could drop in for an hour or so (a movie/dinner etc) with no problem at all. Big kudos.
Hey lets be clear this is one room sometimes 2 seating dining deal and it's not fancy (never mind super fancy) but check: good variety, healthy food, plenty of it, cheerfully prepared and served. I didn't gain any weight and I felt more than satisfied all week - big thumbs up! Love the way you get to meet people naturally w/ out any organization, big enough to choose to avoid the odd person you don't get on with, small enough to always find a new friend to enjoy a meal with.