Back to cruising on Oasis!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Oasis of the Seas

7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day (Cape Liberty Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 12, 2021

Ship: Oasis of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8206

Traveled as: Couple

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Review summary

It was great getting back to cruising and Oasis did NOT disappoint!

Embarkation

As smooth as could be. Much better than past cruises but reduced number help. Keep an eye on the line entry, we found that they let out boarding time on much sooner. However, it didn’t matter that much as we practically walked right on. Make sure you have your set sail, vaccination card and negative test results ready multiple times.

Ship experiences

The food was hit or miss, which is honestly typical. Also be aware that there are still supply chain issues that will impact the availability of some things. Just roll with it, it’s vacation! We had the unlimited dining plan so we didn’t hit the MDR at all this cruise. Venue reviews are forthcoming…

Vintages

I like vintages, we would usually grab a glass or two before dinner but stopped halfway through the cruise as there wasn’t a lot of selection that fit the deluxe package (unlike our past two cruises.) This limited our ability to sample other selections. As well the unlimited dining package doesn’t work for the tapas, not a big deal.Waiters were very attentive and the setting was nice. The wine we did have was quite good.

Trellis Bar

Great place for a pre or after dinner drink. You can sit anywhere in the park as there’s not a lot of sitting right by the bar. Quick and easy place to grab a drink and the bartenders were very attentive.

Sorrento's Pizza

Better than in years past but could be better. Not bad for a snack but wish they had more multiple meat and extra cheese options with veggies… but that’s more personal. ;)

Solarium Bar

These guys were on top of everything. Well done!

Portside BBQ

I set this at fours stars mostly because of the food waste. The meat was good but a little over sauced… for me. I tend to prefer dry rubs so the meat flavor comes through more than the sauce. Still decent considering I come from a state PROFICIENT in BBQ. ;)I got the burnt ends (not as good as KC but decent) the pulled pork (good) and the ribs, (good as well.) The Mac and cheese was good though I prefer no bread crumbs. Fries were good along with the banana pudding cup which was really good!Would eat here again but maybe share a plate between my wife and I to not waste as much food.

Playmakers℠ Sports Bar & Arcade

Great place to watch sports but a little limited on college football games. The food was fine, really enjoyed the garlic fries and my wife liked the nachos. Didn’t get to return but wished we could, a good addition to ships and one of the only places to get cider on tap.

Park Cafe

The roast beef sandwich is tha bomb! Definitely go get that. Ask for extra meat and extra juice if hungry and get either mustard or horseradish to give it a little more kick. I ate this twice and have no regrets. They can make other sandwiches and salads to order, all great for zero additional cost.But seriously, get the kummelweck sandwich, it’s really good!

Johnny Rockets

Mixed review here but mostly due to the waiter. Didn’t want to deviate from the menu as it would “confuse the cooks.” Well, might need to train them better. Wanted just fries but they wanted to push fries and onion rings, warning, fries and onion rings are cooked in the same oil… just be aware.I got my burger close to what I wanted and it was okay if not a little on the greasy side, which is not usually and issue for me. The fries were fine. Wife got the Swiss and caramelized onion burger which she enjoyed.Getting drink refills was a challenged and there was some wait for both the table and getting food after order… but nothing egregious.

Izumi Japanese Cuisine

The hibachi was awesome. The miso soup is good. I got the steak and chicken, very good, as well as my wife’s shrimp and chicken. The sake is good and several choices to try. Fried rice is different but very good (and served in a bowl, Japanese style which is easier to eat.) We will do this again!Another night we went for rolls and appetizers. Best roll my wife ever had and the appetizers I had were good!

Globe and Atlas Pub

Always a great place to try different things. I learned very quickly I don’t like Johnny Walkers Double Black (WAY too smoky) but they recommended other items that were good. Lots of choices and knowledgeable bar tenders.

Giovanni's Table

I’m the past this restaurant was sometimes a letdown but not this cruise! Ate here twice and all was good. Second night I wanted the paste of the day with meat, which was rigatoni with alfresco sauce. They didn’t have chicken but made filet slice on top which was good. Overall, nice. Eat outside and enjoy the classical guitar playing!

El Loco Fresh℠

As long as you control what’s made, this is great. I got pork, steak and chicken soft tacos with cheese which were made as directed and were great. My wife got quesadillas as well as chips and salsa or guacamole which she loves. She had no complaints.

Chop's Grille

First night was a disappointment. No ribeye and the sides were meh. The pork belly was good! Wife enjoyed her filet, strip was so-so. The sides the first night we’re off, not sure what happened with the Mac and cheese (too rich?) and the cheese tater tots were just lack luster.Second night, after going to Cape Canaveral where they got the ribeyes, was much better. The ribeye was okay, can do better at home but still decent, and the mashed potatoes were good. The pepper sauce is good as well as the wine sauce… the bearnaise… not so much.Staff were great!

Cafe Promenade

Hit or miss on the items available. Cookies were good! Wife like the coffee choices.

Boleros Lounge

The entertainment was top kitchen and the drinks were good as well. Worth a visit!

Boardwalk Dog House

I was disappointed here. Supply chain issues as only caramelized onions and sauerkraut were available (and ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise.) I just wanted chili and cheese but they were not available. So I had dogs in over sized buns with mustard… not great.

Bionic Bar®by Mark Shakr

Okay, straight up… the drinks are bleh… but it was fun making a few and trying them. I did make a passable margarita but the rest, eh. Still, fun to make a drink for your partner to drink, lol! Fun for a shot but that’s it. Ask the attendants if you need help, this was a place that the supply chain hit so some items simply weren’t available.

150 Central Park

We were looking forward to this as many have lauded the food here. We just weren’t impressed, maybe we are too simple food minded. My wife loved the specialty martini!

We really didn’t do a lot on the ship but be lazy and eat/drink. Wife enjoyed the Ultimate Abyss, that’s worth trying.

Whirlpools

What’s not to like about a whirlpool?

Solarium

A very nice space but can be quite limited if looking for a shady spot.

Jogging Track

This was pretty cool. And you should definitely take a walk here to view the back of the ship, very cool!

We didn’t do much here as well but what we did was good!

AquaTheater

Aqua 80 was a blast, worth seeing at least once. Not sure about the guy in front of me with his fingers in his ears, lol! It wasn’t that loud I don’t think.

Across the board everyone was great! I did have one snarky waiter on Perfect Day but not a big deal.

First time on an Oasis class (first two cruises were on Freedom class.) We missed having a bar with a view like the Olive and Twist but this is a minor concern. We really enjoyed the Central Park and other separate neighborhoods that help spread and split things up.

Fairly typical balcony cabin. It was middle of the ship so a lot of walking but very little foot traffic past our door.

Ship tip

Definitely book restaurants and shows as soon as you get on the ship!

Ports of call

Perfect Day At Coco Cay, Bahamas

We had a great time here at Perfect Day. We were able to snag passes to the Beach Club for $53.99 (likely never see that again!) The beach was beautiful, water pristine, the service was great (nice having flags on the loungers) and the pool was nice. My wife loved the food but it was meh to me, probably should have gone to a snack shack, lol!

Nassau by the port was like any other port town we’ve been to. Nothing special, a bit dingy and sometimes felt dodgy. We only spent as much time as it took to buy something for our kids then heading back to the ship.

Disembarkation

As smooth and easy as it could have been. They could have done a better job indicating where the cab stand was but it wasn’t that hard to do fire out.