Good Time in the Western Caribbean!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Oasis of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 15, 2018

Ship: Oasis of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 12309

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruise 4/15-22/2018 OVERALL: I traveled with a group of 15 additional family and friends, and most had a wonderful time aboard this still beautiful ship. It was my first sailing on an Oasis class vessel, and I was impressed with the size and upkeep of this literal ‘floating city.’ She did show a few signs of wear, but overall, the look and feel of the ship is still classy. There are so many venues and things to do, it’s impossible to get it all in, so don’t even think about doing it in just 7 days! You have to pick your spots and go for it. If you have teenagers (13-17) the activities for them are truly outstanding, the girls in our group were always preparing for dances, parties, proms, and other activities. We rarely saw them around the ship except when it was food time! Sometimes when we sat in the Royal Prominade, we’d forget we were on a ship. I’m not sure I loved that when I look back on it. I like feeling a constant connection with the ocean, which is the feeling I have when on some of the smaller classes of ship. FOOD: The overall quality of the food we received in the venues was very good, but in my opinion, it seemed to have come down a couple of notches from what I remember in cruises that I’ve taken over the past 3 to 20 years! The service in the MDR was outstanding for us, from the head waiter, Jason, who added our four late-comers to our table so we could all eat together, to Michelle and Amin, who served us so well. We felt like we had 3 new friends. We ate at Sabor, and the portions were HUUUUUGE! The quality was very good, but service was a little slow, and sometimes our server got stuff wrong. (I think it was a language barrier.) But he always served us with a smile! I’d go back! We had the Chops grille lunch. I got a 2.5 oz piece of filet! Never again! However, when my wife finally got her hamburger, it was one of the best she’d ever had! The service was pretty good, as was the flavor of the food. I will give them a try for dinner. We all enjoyed Johnny Rockets, as well as the Park Café! Those roast beef sandwiches more than lived up to advance billing! ENTERTAINMENT: We saw all the shows, except CATS! ALL WERE OUTSTANDING! I would see every one of them again in a heartbeat! The Dazzles nightclub was jumping most nights with the sounds of the Temperature band. They were really good, especially the lead singers. So versatile! The Quest game was crazy as usual! My only complaint here is they continue to ignore us baby boomers in the dance venues. Blaze often played music that appeals to us when they first open, but by 11:30, they stopped! All the music appealed to 18-25 year-olds! RCCL, you have a Latin dance club, Teen club, Jazz club, Karaoke club, Schooner bar music and even music in various spots throughout the ship. Why can’t there be an area or club where we hear dance music from the 60’s thru 90’s? Not a live band playing it…REAL RECORDED MUSIC that we remember! That’s all I have there! EXCURSIONS: We did the zip line in Labadee! What a rush! It’s a little overpriced, so catch a sale if you can and do it once! It’s worth it! We also walked all the way to Columbus cove. It’s the beach that’s the furthest distance from the ship, but there were less rocks and we enjoyed the water! In Falmouth, we did the Jamaica at leisure tour. We had a comfy air-conditioned bus, and an excellent tour of the area, did some shopping, albeit with pushy shop owners, and even had some Jamaican jerk chicken from a couple of local spots. We had a good time. Cozumel was our favorite stop. A couple friends and I climbed the Coba Pyramid. If you’ve booked this one, get ready for a workout. Walk a mile and a half after a 45 minute ferry ride to get there, then climb 123 feet at a 50-something degree angle to get to the top of the pyramid, then come back down! Wooooooooo! We were tired, but felt accomplished! In addition, we went down 60 feet to reach a deep swimming spot in a cave at Cenote’. This was a very nice and detailed tour which will give you the opportunity to work off all that food. FINAL THOUGHTS: This is still an excellent cruise and itinerary! I hardly felt like 6500 passengers were aboard this ship. It was almost always crowded at peak times in the Windjammer! The Solarium was a nice alternative to the outdoor pools and we enjoyed the whirlpool and pool at the adults only spot. Plan your activities daily as to not feel overwhelmed. We booked most of our entertainment on the cruise planner ahead of time, but many were still able get into entertainment on stand-by. Take it slow. Try other venues for breakfast, like room service, Johnny Rockets, MDR, Park café and Wipe out café. We had a great time, but with so many people, sometimes, I could see the wear and tear on the very ‘human’ staff. I was never treated rudely, but I certainly at times felt that I was just another “number.” I understand. I still love Royal Caribbean and enjoyed this massive and well-designed ship, Oasis of the seas!

Embarkation

The Embarkation experience was quick and painless for thousands being in line!

Ship experiences

Wipe Out Cafe

Had breakfast there once. Omelet made to order. Decent food and service. Not much room to sit. Definitely a smaller eating venue.

Cafe Promenade

The roast beef sandwiches will make you give up vegetarianism! LOL They are really good! They also make salads and other stuff to order! Really top notch in Central park!

Park Cafe

Great Roast beef sandwiches and salads made to order!

Chop's Grille

Went for lunch! I got a silver dollar sized piece of filet! My wife's burger was excellent, as was most of the other food. I will return and give dinner a try. Won't do lunch there again!

Blaze

Not enough attention paid to baby boomers musically! There were great dance songs released in the 70's, 80's and 90's as well! We may be older, but we're far from dead!

Rock Climbing Wall

I made it up to the first bell! Tougher than it looks. Received no instruction once I got to the actual wall! Just clamped in and told to go! Still had fun!

Zipline

You spend a lot longer getting ready than on the actual zip line itself! Still fun going across the boardwalk in 4-5 seconds!

Solarium

This was the goto spot for my group. Hot tub and pool were great, as were the spots to sit and even eat at the Bistro if we so chose!

Performers and stage shows were excellent. My problem was with the DJ's, who very rarely played music, unless a special program was taking place, that baby boomers could relate to. There is some music that is timeless...Everyone enjoys it!

AquaTheater

This divers, swimmers and acrobats are breath-taking! Definitely a wow factor here!

Comedy Live

Good comedians, especially the headliner. We went to the adult show, and it lived up to billing!

Ship tip

Find breakfast venues other than the crowded, bustling Windjammer. Room service, Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets (free) MDR and others offer a nice selection without the crowd.

Ports of call

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Falmouth, Jamaica