Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruise Director

Oasis is truly a cruise marvel.

Sail Date: May 21, 2016

This was our 12th cruise and 3rd with RCCL. We arrived at Port Everglades at about 1:30pm and were in our cabin by 2:10pm. Wheelchair assist at Pier 18 was simple and flawless. Use Park Cafe on deck 8 when you board for food as Windjammer is a mad scene! Balcony cabin we had on deck 12 was average size yet shower is small. I kept knocking the shampoo dispenser in the shower off. And no, I'm not a big guy!! Cabin steward introduced himself within 5 minutes of us being in the cabin and did a great job of cleaning, doing towel animals (my wife loves those) and keeping us supplied with ice the entire week. Labadee, I had the Dragons Tail Coaster booked but they failed to instruct on where to have the waiver signed so I missed my scheduled time. All the ticket stated was "Please Sign Waiver" and I saw no option to sign waiver for this ride on the RCCL website pre-cruise. There were no signs at the ride directing you where to go for the waiver or anyone instructing you where to go prior to the ride. I literally had one foot in the cart for the ride when the worker told me I had to have the waiver signed first. Wondering why they don't have it AT the ride? Guest Services onboard completely agreed especially after I told them the worker at the ride said I would have to go to the back of the line after I had the waiver signed and refunded me the $25 for the ride without hesitation. I stood in line in the heat for 35 minutes the first time and wasn't going to the back of the line for another wait. Also, at Labadee, if you venture beyond Adrenaline Beach to the area where the shops are, be prepared to be hounded by locals selling their junkware. This is the first place I have ever been to where the local merchants won't take "No Thanks" as an answer and actually follow you insisting you visit their shop. Falmouth was a good port yet we only went to Margaritaville right at the port for food, drinks and the free WiFi. If you go there, WiFi signal is better outside the restaurant as opposed to inside. Cozumel is our favorite stop. This was our 5th time here. The last 4 we have gone to Paradise Beach. Great family beach and very inexpensive. The crew on the Oasis are great. Always friendly, cleaning the ship and try hard to make your cruise excellent. There are many repeat cruisers on the Oasis I have found. Has to be a reason for that!! Windjammer (buffet) was barely ok. Breakfast consisted of mostly raw bacon, turkey and pork sausage that were overloaded with pepper. It's an ok place to get some food to get your day started. We also did Giovanni's & Chops. Giovanni's was great but make sure to bring some Tums or Previcid to avoid heartburn as the sauce seems to be very acidic. Chops, I was not impressed at all. Ordered the N.Y. Strip steak and although cooked correctly, was tough. Don't see how the ship actually ran out of butter for the last day!! My favorite bar onboard was the Pool bar on deck 15. Service and crew there called me by name after my first visit. The show "Frozen in time" was awesome and is a no-miss show as was "Oasis of Dreams". Headliners was a fail with some guy that appeared on "American Idol" 10 years ago and now works the Vegas strip. We left about 20 minutes into the show. We had assigned seating in the MDR in the Silk dining room and service was great with a beverage attendant ALWAYS with us. After he learned our beverage likes, he had them waiting for us each evening when we arrived. Disembarkation was a bit slow but were told it was due to Customs. Oasis of the Seas is without a doubt the most interesting ship I have sailed so far and plan to return to.  Smoking is permitted on "most" open decks on the portside but primarily on deck 15, mid-ship near the Pool bar. Smoking is also allowed in half of the Casino.

Well appointed. Always kept clean. Average Balcony cabin size but RCCL has this thing with really small showers.
Embarkation was quick and easy. If you arrive earlier than your assigned time for boarding, be prepared to wait. Debarking was slow...VERY slow!
For a ship with 5400+ passengers, it never felt crowded. We sailed full capacity as the ship was sold out days prior to the cruise.
Wasn't really impressed with Labadee. RCCL needs to get control of the local merchants with the hounding tactics they use. And they don't take "NO" for an answer.
Read my notes in the review for the shows we went to. The shows were more hit than miss I will say. Slots in the Casino TIGHT!!!
I can't say enough about these hard working people. They were always friendly, said good morning and were always willing to go above and beyond to make your cruise special.
I don't base my dining experience with the Windjammer in mind as anyone that has sailed before pretty much knows what to expect. The Silk MDR was excellent.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
If there are many ships in port, be prepared to go through a slow process at the ports security check-point when entering the port.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Falmouth, Jamaica
Our favorite port. This was our 5th time in Cozumel and the last 4 went back to Paradise Beach.

Here's a few personal tips I found. When you board, use Park Cafe on deck 8 for lunch as the Windjammer is overcrowded. For a great sail-away view and for entering ports, go to deck 14 all the way forward where there is an area on top of the bridge that is the width of the ship.