Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Great Ship - Not So Good Food and Lots of Lines

Sail Date: November 29, 2014

Boarding was quick and easy.   I would say it took less than 10  minutes from parking lot to ship.   Way better than other cruises we have been on.   As for the ship - it was really so nice and had an amazing amount of entertainment.   The choices seemed endless of things to do and the shows we were able to see were really very good and we typically walk out of all cruise shows within five minutes (although the particular headliner show we walked out of).   We were unable to see the aqua shows as we had rough seas most of the week so they were unable to perform but we heard it was amazing.   We had a great time in the adult show in Studio B.  It was hilarious.   The 70's dance show in the promenade was so fun and I can't say enough about the Cruise Director, Ricky, he was awesome.  What wasn't so awesome was the food..... BLECH.  And I really mean BLECH.  My thin husband likely lost weight as he just simply decided by the fourth day that there wasn't anything on the boat worth eating and it was always cold..    Even the lobster was severely overcooked and cold and they either gave us fake butter for the lobster or the lobsters tasted horrible?   We even at a specialty restaurant (Serenity) and it wasn't much better.  Carnival's Burger Joint (by Guy Fieri) and their burrito bar so far blow the Oasis food out of the water.   Anyway, we have always said that "it is hard to mess up breakfast" but even it was horrible. The last morning we ate in the dining room as I had to eat fried eggs every morning as all other eggs were powdered, the waffles were cold, soggy rubbery things that were absolutely inedible and so on.   But to my surprise even the dining room served powdered eggs and cold hash browns that looked like the ones at McDonald's  and the bacon was pure fat.   I pushed the plate away once again and ate rolls/toast for yet another meal.   I ate so much bread and I try never to eat it but it was some of the only edible stuff we found (with the exception of the Park Café salad and roast beef sandwich (which got boring fast)   Some people on the ship said that the food was what they expected and some fully agreed with us that it was horrible but I didn't hear anyone say once that it was good.   One gentleman was so disgusted that he said he was giving up on RC and he was a diamond platinum member or something of the sort as he thought all the food was horrible to the point as he called it "mystery food".    With all this said.....I think the actual ship and entertainment/sports were so good they ruined us for other ships but the food was so inedible that we can't go again.   Quite a quandary.

Oh.....  and as everyone says....  be prepared to wait in line.   And then wait in more lines.   You really need to make reservations for the main shows and then still get there more than 15 minutes early or they let the stand-by line in.   If you want a good seat.... be prepared to wait 45 or more minutes.    You even have to make reservations for "My Time Dining".   Doesn't that sound counter intuitive?  Or is it just me?   If you don't make the reservations for My Time Dining... be prepared to wait an hour or more.

I can say that from what we experienced, the staff and crew were nothing but friendly and helpful and never once had an issue at any time.

Pretty much the standard balcony room although the balcony itself was much nicer than other ships we have been on as it was deeper so you didn't feel so confined and they had a taller and larger table than on other ships so it was nice to eat at and play a game. As for the bed..... it was pretty bad. RCI really should have replaced the beds when they were in drydock less than two months ago. The bed has a cheapy mattress similar to a pull out couch and it has been used for five plus years now and gave my husband back problems.
Nassau, Bahamas Did not get off ship.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Took a snorkel/beach excursion. Snorkeling was OK. Not too many fish but were able to see sea turtles. Beach was not overly nice. Not sure how the others are.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
20,000 people get off of ships at this port daily and have roughly the same schedule. Creates havock at the port and throughout the island as traffic becomes a nightmare to the point that you can't get a cab to a beach that isn't very far or you risk not getting back to teh ship on-time. Staff on the boat suggested if we went to any beach other than the one right in Phillipsburg that we should leave 2.5 hours to get back in case there were any accidents on the single lane roads that wind through the mountains.