Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Worth every penny!

Sail Date: October 05, 2013

We had an absolutely wonderful time on this cruise!  My 84 year old Mom was riddled with Cancer and she had an Eastern Carribean cruise on her "bucket list".

So my Sister and I got together and worked up plan to take her.   The boarding was VERY fast and before we knew it we were in our cabin which was beautiful but an inside courtyard balconey.  If you don't like noise and like to sleep in - I don't suggest this as they start making noise out there in the morning by around 8:30am and there is a lot going on at night too.  We never minded as we were up for meals and so on but looking at the outside cabins - I would DEFINITELY do this if I went in the future - outside balcony.  You get the feeling of the sea throughout and it's quieter.   Also the aft or back end of the ship rocked a lot more and the front rocks a lot more and the middle was steady - so I'd suggest an outside balcony as close to the middle of the deck as possible.   I didn't notice any one deck or other being better otherwise, but we liked being the 8th as there is a  park type deck which was easy to cross and pleasant for getting from one side of the ship to the other - less crowded than the promenade deck which was more like walking through a mall to get to the other side of the ship or the pool decks which were really hard.

What we LOVED was the room and food service - especially at night.  We had a veteran waiter of 21 years with Royal Carribean named Herb, who was SO pleasant and knowledgable about the food, that every evening was like a super pleasant culinary adventure.  We loved the 6-8:30 slot for dining with a table that was a sure thing (next to a window which was beautiful) every night.  We just loved dinner everynight and it was definitely our favorite part of the cruise.

Our cabin waiter was just amazing - so nice and helpful.  My sister got a headache from dehydration and he looked after her, brought ice for my Mom's ice packs and was just SO nice to us the whole time.   The crew was definitely international.   The shows were great - our favorites were the Broadway production of hairspray and the headliner, followed by the Ice show and "Come Fly with me" which was a fun one - more Cirque de Sole in nature but had some really retro broadway flare like tap dancing and singing.  Our least favorite show was the aqua show as we just couldn't follow the story line very well - it seemed discombobulated theme-wise but there was definite talent in the pool.  Sea World put this to shame (of course), but it was still fun to watch.   Starbucks was great to have every morning  - we ran down to get coffee.   One BIG THING was that my Sister rented my Mom a scooter and that thing saved ALL of us at one time or another as that ship is BIG and there was a lot of walking.

We thought that the Kareoke times were WAY to late at night as we were tuckered out by the time they had that nightly - usually we like to see that on a ship, but this one was too late at night except for the final day.  The spa, though we did not use the services was absolutely GORGEOUS - will try that next time. There were SO many bars, restaurants etc. to find around the ship - we could hardly see everything in the 7 days we were on board.  We just had a GREAT time.  Even though you are sailing with 5800 other people - you NEVER felt like it the whole time.   We just loved our cruise and would do another one (different just for the experience).  We have enjoyed all the Royal Carribean Cruises we have taken.  About the only negative about the whole thing was that for the money - we felt like we could have had REAL maple syrup with breakfast items instead of "breakfast syrup".  They did not do a good job of any of the breakfast waffles or pancakes throughout  - it was like cardboard with corn syrup colored brown on it the whole time....otherwise, food was good and service was GREAT!

Beautiful and full of art - well decorated - cabins could have been about a foot wider
Excellent except for "breakfast syrup" instead of real maple syrup
A little small but nice and plenty of storage
Excellent everywhere
Good overall - we could have had more but enjoyed what we had, a little repetitive, could have had different or more comedians
Enjoyed overall - could have used a cooking class
All handled well and we enjoyed them
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Got us on fast
Beautiful view - we didn't leave the ship as we had been to the Bahamas several times
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Nice snorkeling beach - Sapphire Beach
Philipsburg, St. Maarten We loved St. Maarten would have liked to have gone to the French side - be sure to go to FRONT street and not the streets below it

Stay in the dining room for Breakfast - service at the table and much more pleasant than fighting crowds up on the top decks