Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Third Mate

Sad to be back on land! A great vacation to be repeated in the future...

Sail Date: June 29, 2013

I've never been so sad for a vacation to end! What a dream this 7-day cruise was. It was the perfect vacation for a larger family, with plenty of options to for everyone (more than could be taken in, really). At times I felt like I was living in a sci-fi movie being aboard this floating city. From this experience, we are hooked on cruising and big Royal Caribbean fans. We are already planning to go for another 7 day cruise in 6 months.

Balcony Stateroom on deck 14, forward -- beautiful room, incredible view, zero complaints. Loved our deck. Our family had a total of 4 adjoining rooms and the crew was able to remove the intermediary screens between our rooms. This made us feel like we had a suite & increased the angle of the view from our balcony.

Windjammer Cafe (Included) - great selection, no lines, casual clothes (shorts), probably the best restaurant on the ship if traveling with young children, tired, hungover, etc.... good place to get in and out and grab some comfort food.
Izumi Sushi ($) - Limited sushi selection, but what was available was fresh & tasty; great saki options
Chops Grill ($) - THE BEST. Fillet Mignon all the way.
Giovanni's Table ($) - Delicious, and way too much food. Order half of what they suggest you should order. I did gain 4 pounds on this trip!
My Time Dining @ Opal Dining Room - We only ate here twice!! And paid a lot for the "my time" option. There are so many other places to eat, even if you are not planning on choosing the extra ($) options. We know better now not to waste the money on "my time". I think we only went there twice because it was LOUD, the wait for a table was still 10-15 minutes, the food was good but not great, and the average dining time was 1 1/2 - 2 hours. This is a huge, 3 level open dining area with no windows on the My Time floor. It was so noisy that my dad, who uses hearing aids, couldn't hear a thing, and I felt like I was shouting at the person seated next to me.
Wipe Out Cafe - My husband loved this place because the wait time was zero and he could go there in a swimsuit. I spent 1 1/2 hrs at the Opal Dining room for waffles one morning, only to find out they offered waffles at Wipe Out in the buffet line the next morning! Good quick options, more kid-friendly options as well.
Sarrento's - nothing fancy about this place, but it's free, and it's open until something ridiculous like 2 AM. It would be a great whiny kid stop during the day and an even better drunk adult stop late at night. Takes like 10 seconds to get as much pizza as you want.
Room Service - We did this option for breakfast most mornings. The food was cold sometimes and the coffee wasn't very tasty, but the luxury of having food delivered made up for it! Good option for mornings when you are on a schedule.
Solarium Bistro-- I think this is supposed to be the healthy food option. Not very appetizing. Ate there twice, confused both times.

Viking Crown Lounge - Ah I miss this place. Beautiful couches/seating, great view at the top level of the ship, great martinis, nice piano/violin live music, and the only place on the ship besides our room that was nice and QUIET.
Boleros - It was one the smoking areas on the ship (I guess?)... so we didn't spend much time there.
Saxon Pub - Nice pub, crazy expansive beer selection. We hung out and played card there one afternoon and it was a great time. Downside to this bar is it's in the royal promenade, so it's more like being in a mall or Vegas than being on a ship (no exterior views).
Other Bars - there are tons of bars everywhere, and tons of bar servers walking around offering you drinks. It is harder to find water on this ship than it is to find alcohol.
Other note on alcohol: it's reasonably priced. Cocktails and 12 oz. frozen/mixed drinks are all around $8/drink.

Ports of Call
Nassau, Bahamas - Ghetto!! Highly recommend you go to Atlantis, Paradise Island or other beach getaway, or don't get off the boat at all. We did the Forts & Pirates tour. The Pirate Museum was actually quite cool, especially if you like that stuff, but the forts & bus ride around the city was pretty lame. Going to the pirate museum alone is $12 I think, and the forts & pirates excursion was $39/ticket. I think we could've saved $27.
St. Thomas - We did the Christmas Cove/Honeymoon Beach snorkel excursion for $99/ticket. It took up the whole day so I can't really comment on St. Thomas (didn't spend any time walking around the island). This was a good day & pretty par for the course if you've done any excursions on other vacations. We did see sea turtles while snorkeling, the water is super clear & beautiful. The boat ride to Christmas Cove * Honeymoon Beach was nice, lunch was good - higher quality than I was expecting, and the beach afternoon was short but sweet. It was very very good relaxing/lazy day in a beautiful spot and worth the $.
St. Maarten - This was my favorite port. It crossed my mind a few times to hide, not go back to the ship and just live on the island for the rest of my life. It was like being in paradise. I've never seen bright turquoise water like that before. We rented a minivan and explored the island for the day. It is small enough that you can drive the whole perimeter, stop along the way, and get back in time. We stopped at Maho Beach, a couple shopping areas, and Dawn Beach. We found Dawn Beach by accident and I'm so glad we did. That is THE place to go. It's got a hamburger stand/bar, some lounge chairs, the prettiest beach ever, and nothing else. This was a really great day and also fun & not scary to be out on our own. I enjoyed a day away from the big groups of other tourists.

On-Board Activities
Rock Climbing - Very fun, challenging walls. I did this 3 or 4 times. I recommend you get there early and pay attention to when the wall is open. Best time to go is 9-10 AM. The lines for this were pretty ridiculous in the afternoons.
Zipline - It's about a 3 second zip line! I did this twice, also early in the morning before the long lines started forming. If you want to do it, do it once and check it off your list... it's too short to be much of a thrill.
Wave/Tide/Surf thing - Sorry, I forgot the name of it. I did the surf board one once and the boogie board once. It was fun, and worth the wait in line. Very similar to a water park type activity. It's free, unless you want a private lesson. I didn't get to it until the last day of the cruise, otherwise I probably would've done this more. It is also fun to watch people surf & they have shaded stands where you can hang out and watch.
Pools - The 4 main pools, while huge, with hundreds & hundreds of lounge chairs are crazy crowded during at-sea days. I spent zero time there & LOTS of time in the Solarium instead.
Solarium pool - Incredible views, great atmosphere, with 1 small pool and 2 hot tubs. It's perfect for people who want to mostly lounge in a quieter environment and have a pool nearby to dip in when hot. Poolside/lounge chair drink service is available as there are tons of servers around.

Nighttime Entertainment
Oasis of Dreams Water Show - Yes, very good, go see. Aerialists, Divers, water dancers. Awesome pool with hydraulic floor. Great show.
Headliner Kenny James - Very good entertainer, fun time. Family friendly/probably super popular with the older crowd
Ice Skating Show - Loved this too. Very talented group, cool costumes, and there is a special guest that blew us all away.

There is a bunch more to say but I'm out of time. I hope my review helps you navigate your own time on Oasis! We loved it and can't wait to go back!

Don't pay the extra money for My Time Dining -- There are plenty of other options on board that make it possible for you to eat at any time. You will not be dependent on or restricted to the Opal Dining Room for dinners.