Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

A Great First Cruise but not perfect!

Sail Date: July 02, 2011

I only gave the boat a good rating because I had a very bad experience on the last night of the cruise at the Windjammer buffet. I took what was labeled simply as "Chocolate Cake" and had a severe allergic reaction. I found out later that it had a hazelnut cream but there was no mention of any type of nut on the cake label or any mention of the possibility that it may have a nut ingredient. For those with allergies just putting a sign that states "may contain nuts" would have been enough to keep me far away from it. Even though we had an amazingly great time on the boat this experience did put a damper on our enthusiasm for Royal Caribbean and the Oasis of the Seas. I'm surprised that Royal Caribbean does not take food allergies seriously enough to just put a simple allergen warning sign in front of certain foods at the buffet. The buffet managers response was even more puzzling when my wife brought it to his attention. He admitted that it did have a hazelnut cream and went on to send us a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to our stateroom to make things better (insulting at best). To this day I'm not sure if the sign was mislabeled or if this is just standard labeling for buffet service. Other than this problem the cruise was wonderful.

Pros: Fantastic Boat, very clean, a lot to do, great shows and activities, nice stateroom

Cons: For those with food allergies be aware that the food in the Windjammer buffet is labeled extremely poorly.

Recommends Oasis of the Seas? Yes!

The staff was very cordial for the most part. Sometimes we weren't sure if it was genuine or if they are aiming for a big tip. When we first got on the ship it initially seemed that some of the staff was a little standoffish. It must be very difficult to work on a cruise ship week after week, so I can understand the staff not always being 100% perfect. I couldn't imagine having to attend to so many people week after week and to always be smiling and gracious.
I was not really happy with the buffet selection and as mentioned previously the food in the buffet not being labeled completely for those with allergies was very disappointing. The food in the main dining room was very good though and there is a big difference between the quality of food in the MDR when compared to the buffet. There are also many complementary cafes and other complementary eateries located throughout the ship if you don't want the Windjammer buffet or MDR.
There is so much to do on the ship and can even be a little overwhelming. The shows were really good and all the athletic activities were great as well. Just make sure to use your daily cruise compass to plan your day. It took us a few days to get use to using the cruise compass that gets delivered to the room daily. The fitness room was outstanding and as good as some of the best gyms I have been in.
The ship was very clean and had Purell anti-bacterial dispensers located throughout the ship and in all eating areas. By the second day I was able to make it around the ship to all the places we wanted to go with great ease. The ship is very large but is laid out very well. The decor throughout the ship was top notch and very appropriate for each neighborhood.
The stateroom was very nice and clean, and we had a pretty good view of central park. The bed was also very comfortable. The shower is a little small but not really a big deal unless your a very large person.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
St. Maarten was also very nice.
We weren't thrilled with the Bahamas. It seems kind of beneath the Oasis of the Seas to attend this country. Also, maybe we didn't like it because our excursion was really not very interesting.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St. Thomas was very nice.