Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

mediocre experience

Sail Date: November 01, 2010

Room Type: Suite

I have sailed on 5 sailing in the past. I was less impressed with the quality of food served in the main dining area compared to other sailings. We ended up going to specialty restaurants to get finer food (about $180/night). I was displeased to see that a 15% gratuity is charged on any and every thing. I.E. I bought 2 cans of red bull on my way off the ship, it wasn't opened...just handed to me and was charged a gratuity LOL. I'm a very generous person in regards to tipping...WHEN it's deserved. Lastly, my MAJOR disappointment concerns gift certificates purchased from the Royal Caribbean website. As this was my honeymoon cruise, the cruise planner suggested that I have friends purchase gift certificates to be used as onboard credit (sounded like a great idea). I received 2 cerificates early and read in the terms and conditions to activate them. I was worried about what would happen when I received additional certificates one day prior to sailing. I called another cruise agent and they reassured me it would still be taken as onboard credit (I'm assuming it's noted that we were on our honeymoon is why an acception would be made). I received $600 in gift certificates as wedding gifts. Needless to say, guest services onboard the ship refused to take the certificates because they were not activated. I told her I just had a wedding reception and was given the certificates, we were on our honeymoon, etc...still refused to apply the credit. I was given a corporate number. I was extremely outraged. I can't figure out how such a critically important piece of information about activation could be missed TWICE in talking to their customer service agents. Apparently it's not so important to some. I was told to use it on a future cruise. I wrote to WRAL 5 news here in NC to make people aware about this nonsense. The hospital I'm employed with will also get a copy of the letter sent to the news team so that they will hopefully change their minds about future sailings with Royal Caribbean. At this point, it's all about the principle of the matter.

Pros: my crown loft suite

Cons: inconsistencies in knowledge base between cruise planning agents and corporate office

Recommends Oasis of the Seas? No.

My stateroom attendants were awesome...I left them an additional $150 tip.