Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Oasis of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: May 29, 2010

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Was a breeze except for the woman in our line who forgot to bring her passport. Uhhhgg!
Got there around noon.
Those travelling with kids (under 13?) have an extra station to go through prior to boarding.

First thing was to put our carry-ons in the room and go have a beef-on-weck. Was very good but so are all beef-on-wecks. Man. I miss food from Buffalo.
Ship is just amazing. Beautiful, big, and new.
Some would consider it too big but not us. If you dont like to do too much walking and or are more into the excursion than the boat experience, this boat may not be for you. For those who like non-stop floating fun and entertainment, try the Oasis. Im not much of a wordsmith but suffice it to say, this boat is incredible!

General Tips
Deck 14, all the way forward, port side. Take a walk as far forward as you can get. Fairly private too.
If you see the option to go star gazing with the astronomy group, do so. Mitch from Earth will guide your group to a very dark location to watch stars. The location? The Helipad! Its the only way to get out there and Mitch does a GREAT job. He seems to really know his stuff. When we told a couple bartenders (Alex and Rei) they just nodded like we were crazy and said the helipad is forbidden for guests. I still dont think they believe us. Apparently, Mitch has gotten special permission to do this activity. He makes it very clear that if anyone gets hurt or strays from the group that they will revoke that permission. He illuminates many of the tripping hazards like the helicopter tie-downs, etc. with electric candles but you still need to be very careful until you eyes adjust. He uses a very power full laser to point out planets and constellations. I highly recommend it.

Our cabin, 11324 was the third form last balcony cabin from the aft. For me this was a great location for several reasons
It was a good walk to the elevators and even more so to all of the forward entertainment. For me this was a great way to keep exercise in my daily routine because Im certain you will walk at least 1 -2 miles a day. Keep in mind this ship is a mile long.
Conversely, there is not much walking involved when going to dinner as it is also in the aft section of the ship. Just and elevator ride down. No sweaty arrivals to formal dinner.
Being located near the end of the hall, we were able to easily go check out the seldom used public space overlooking the aquatic area. This was a great place to have a drink, watch some entertainment, play cards, etc.
We had our two kids in tow, 10 and 15. The 10 year old is 5-0 and the 15 year old is 57. One is a cat and one is a dog and they fight like such. The pull out couch was absolutely a fine fit for them.
The main bed was wonderful! Pillow top. Did not want to get up in the morning.
Bathroom was roomy as was the shower.
Whoever recommended bring a multi extension cord was wise person. Thank you.
There was a slight sewer odor in the hallway sometimes. There was also a sewer odor coming from the vent in the bathroom sink. It would only smell when you ran the water. It was pretty gross but I dont spend my time sniffing gasses from the bathroom sink so not that big of a deal. The room itself never smelled badly.

We really enjoyed the food and all the selections. I dine out a LOT and thought the main dining room (Opus) food was very good. They had a nice selection most every night. Keeping in mind that theyre serving over a thousand of people a 3 course meal in a 2 hour span is nothing short of miraculous. (the shot of the night shot glasses make for an interesting collection after several nights)
Contrary to other posts, we enjoyed a dinner at the Windjammer. It had some pretty good food considering its a buffet.
We went to Chops where I had the bone-in rib eye and my wife had the filet, both mid-rare. Both were very good and definitely a notch above Opus.

Pros: Ship, Food

Cons: A few of the Food and Bevrage staff were rude but not all.

Recommends Oasis of the Seas? Yes!

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Went to the Chacchoben ruins. Very interesting but bring lots of mosquito repellant
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Great swimming, Great Food. Shopping was a waste of time