Worst cruise ever

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Sun

5 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 07, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Sun

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 0220

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

On ship, terrible experience. $ 1700 was way to much for a balcony for 2 people including tips and drinks package. The overall experience that we got with having to dust our own room and then the way the customer relations desk and managers treated us, sucked. Won’t travel with NCL again

Embarkation

From the time we checked in to waiting time at port to boarding time, it was maybe 45 minutes. Rather fast.

Ship experiences

Non specialty restaurants served 97.5% frozen food. This number was confirmed by several of dining staff including Maitre D, waiters and also by a contact at Sysco Foods in Miami. Specialty restaurants like Cagney’s, Teppanyaki, Moderno etc, serve fresher foods that are not frozen. Watch out for scallops, they are not scallops but punch fish aka sting ray wings that have been punched out with a small cookie cutter and are the size of a kidney or gall stone. They were referred to as “sea scallops” but when I asked the waiter and Maitre D , they told me they are not sea scallops, and just fish and punched out. Smoked mozzarella ravioli are very much frozen, they arrived luke warm and come from a giant bag. They are served 2 at a time. Many things are portion controlled. Eggs during breakfast come out of a bag or a box. They are not fresh at all. Any deserts or danish on board the ship are also frozen and come from massive supplier to cut cost French onion soup doesn’t have any or nearly enough onions in it. Asked for more and waiter told me it would take roughly 45 minutes. No 24 hour dining option other than room service which carries a $7.95 charge. Items from room service aren’t tasty. There is no 24 hour buffet like they have on Carnival Ships and many other cruise lines

4 hot tubs and 2 pools. Plus 1 additional hot tub and small kids pool. Some decent on board entertainment but not enough for a newly renovated ship that was renovated just last year.

Moderate entertainment on board. Went to karaoke 2 times but other than that didn’t do the touristy stuff.

There is a kids program but this doesn’t apply to me since I don’t have children

Room stewards before boarding ship didn’t do a good job of cleaning room considering I had to dust my own room. We found layers of dust everywhere. Told guest services and they didn’t think it possible. I have included picture proof. Dust was all on top of shelves, pictures, bathroom shelves, tv. Disgusting, I check these things because typically they go in and just do a quick dust and that’s it. Also they only left us with 1 roll of toilet paper and said if we needed more, to call and they would deliver at that time.

Outside room 10220 there was loose handles on the wall. And by the elevators down the hall there was loose handles on the wall. I told guest services many times and I guess they sent someone to go look at them but they never actually fixed them. Make sure if you notice a loose handle on the wall, to report it. Take a picture or video with your phone.

Overall size of my cabin was ok. Not too big, not too small. The doors are quite small and you almost think to yourself, how do some bigger people get through the tiny door? Also how do they get tiny suitcases through the door? Finally into the cabin and trying to get across the room, the one bed was in the way of me crossing to the other side of the room. Also I didn’t realize that when you spend $1500 on a cruise you have to dust your own room. I called room steward and told them and they didn’t sound enthused at all.

Ship tip

Take your time and think of other options. Read reviews from recents cruisers. Make sure to look at negative reviews with details in cleanliness. If you have any issues, address them with a manager on bird and not a supervisor. Managers wear black uniforms. They are a better help than just supervisors. If department managers can’t help then ask to speak to the general Manager, his name is Igor

Ports of call

Anything duty free should be purchased at Dufry right at the port. Beyond that, leave Cozumels port gates and wander the streets and do some shopping. Yes you can go to a pharmacy and stock up. It’s not illegal, no you don’t need a prescription for what they sell. Don’t buy silver unless it’s stamped and they can prove it. Tequila shouldn’t cost anymore than $ 10-25 a bottle. Don’t buy vanilla unless it comes in a glass bottle and has an ingredient label on the back. Vanilla in plastic bottle is made for making drinks and isn’t organic. It contains things you don’t want in your body. If your looking for a good place to eat, look for a place called Machetes. We got 12 assorted tacos, like real authentic Mexican tacos and shrimp ceviche 1 beer and 1 soda for $44.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

We did the Mayan Temples at Chachoben, I think that’s how you spell it. Anyways, it was a total of 4 hours. 1 hour in each direction on a tour bus and 2 hours there. Make sure you wear sun tan lotion or spray and bug spray. Watch out for Mexican Black ants ( they bite and will put you in a hospital because they swarm). And red ants are bad too. When we arrived back in Costa Maya port, we cruised the shops. Beware of everyone trying to reel you in to sell you tequila and silver. Do research on silver. And on gold. Lots of the gold is rhodium plated and you don’t want that. Wait for Cozumel to buy tequila.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Disembarkation

Disembarkation was a breeze. We carried our suitcases off the ship and went through customs and very quick. We got off ship and back to out shuttle within 30 minutes. I was home by 940am. All I can say that if you have any problems on board the ship, don’t speak to supervisors. Speak only to managers. If you don’t get the answer your looking for from a manager, and you live in the USA then file an Attorney General Consumer Complaint with the State of Florida against Norwegian Cruise Lines in Miami. It takes 30 days for a reply but you will get a better answer than the answer from on the ship

Traveler Photos