Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Very relaxing!!!

Sail Date: January 25, 2015

This cruise was perfect for my husband and I to get away and have a stress free, relaxing vacation.  We have always cruised over spring break or around the March-Apr time frame and have always had our children with us.  Cruising in January was a little cooler but almost perfect as we never really got overly hot. It was always comfortable. The Sun was by far the best ship for relaxing. It is much smaller than the Epic we were on last year so less people, lines, etc. We never had to wait for anything.  The staff of the Sun were AWESOME! This ship had more older people on it but that was fine as we met so many great people and it was much more quiet!  The cruise director - Richard Matic, was the best ever!  He created a very fun environment. Our waiter - Sabastian Hernandes, was the best we've ever had. We have been to all of these ports before except Roatan. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great and waves were high in Roatan and we couldn't snorkel, but we hired a taxi driver (Julie Brooks and she gave us a tour of the island and then went to a fun restaurant called "Madah's Authentic Kitchen."  The food was chicken, shrimp or iguana.  It was a fun experience. We visited a place in Costa Maya called "Koox Hotels Quia to Sole Boutique right on the Mahahual beach.  We purchased a package which included use of snorkel equipment, unlimited beverages and a meal.  The food was great and the scenery was breathtaking.  We even had a massage right on the beach :-)   In Cozumel, we went to another great beach resort/bar located right next to the Chankanaab Beach Park called Playa Uvas it again offered a package deal with lounge chair on the beach, use of all snorkel gear, paddle boats, kayaks, etc.  We also got 1 free drink.  I recommend snorkeling here.  Tons of fish in waist deep water!!  The last time we cruised Cozumel, we tendered to Playa del Carmen and went on an excursion " The Amazing River"  It's an underground river/cave it lived up to it's name as it was truly amazing.  Quite a unique experience. We have been to Belize before so all we did was tendered into the city and did some shopping.  The last time we were there we snorkeled the reef which was very cool!  We wanted a more relaxed less expensive cruise this time so we didn't book excursions.  The only negatives I can think of is that the windows of the cruise ship were so dirty you couldn't hardly see through them. We only ate in the free dining but another couple that traveled with us ate at one of the specialty dining restaurants and said it was wonderful.  All in all if you want a very relaxing care-free cruise - do this one.  I would do it again in a heartbeat!!  LOVED IT!

Cruise Photos

For being one of the older ships, I thought everything was clean and great shape.
Food was great but I do miss the lobster, escargot, and other delicious foods they only serve in the specialty dining areas that you have to pay extra for.
Our cabin steward (Francis) was fabulous. We had a porthole view which again wish the windows were cleaner to see out of. The room was spacious enough for us as we didn't spend much time in there. They do need new blow dryers as ours didn't work. I recommend bringing your own. They also have only 1 plug in on the desk!! This was definitely a struggle.
I can't say enough about the staff and service! Top notch :-)
We enjoyed the juggler (Scotty Cavanaugh) was awesome! He was funny and so talented. The ventriloquist was also great. We enjoyed all of the bands, etc. It is much different than the huge productions on the Epic, etc., but we enjoyed all of them.
Since we didn't have kids along and there weren't many children aboard, I don't really know, but from what I witnessed - it looked great.
So many things to do!! Cruise Director- Richard was fabulous!
We didn't do any excursions - we did our own thing on each island.