Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

R U Kidding ME

Sail Date: September 01, 2009

Just came back from a cruise to Alaska Sept 06 13 on Norweigen Sun, 3 ocean view rooms.what a nightmare.was my first time and most likely my last. My family and I were definitely among the youngest aboard. early thirties and kids 10 - 16, we went with a couple of friends in their early thirties and their 8 year old daughter, everyone else was (or at least looked) 85 and upjust to sum it up..

1. Rained for 6 days and winds were crazywas freezing cold, wore scarfs, hats/toques, heavy coats, sweaters, double socks and pants every day but one (the last one when we were almost back in Vancouver)
2. Onboard entertainment was Bingo (on-going), Casinono one wins or none that I seen or heard of.lame shows (I believe there was a comedian the rest of my family watched who was great) but that was it.

3. Buffet same stuff over and over againgot really tiring after the first day, but the food was edible. There were 4 free restaurants (1 offered pizza and pasta another offered sandwiches and the food at the Seven Seas and the Four Seasons was not impressive (in both they served a dish of tortellini, that was the only good thing on the menu).

4. The remaining restaurants required cover charges from $15 - $30 USD per person. We only went to one LE BISTRO, great service and great food. The service around the remainder of the ship was terrible.and every staff member (except in Le Bistro) had an - I dont want to do anything for you- look on their faces and in their attitudes and the way they spoke to you. Hard to believe we pay $12 USD a day per person for this service.

5. The drinks were not included in the price of the cruise, we purchased soda cards for the kids, who by the way the waiters and bar staff only served when they felt like the point where I started to also show some resentment and told them what the kids wanted to order. They kids were not allowed in the bars, but they were the only thing open after 7 or 8 pm. All of our sodas (because we didnt get a soda card) were $2.50 USD per can and you couldnt bring any other food or drinks on board and save yourself a few dollars. Alcoholic drinks were $8.50 USD and up, in addition all of the cover charge restaurants and the drinks (including sodas) automatically come with a 15 18% gratuity regardless of how bad the service is. Our first night at the buffet we ordered some sodas and it took a half an hour to get them.from then on we got them ourselves before entering any dining area.

6. Couldnt swim in the pool too rainy and cold.couldnt use the basket ball court it was also out doors, shuffle board was also out doors, the only two stores on board were a gift shop (nothing to write home about and prices were outrageous) and a jewelry storeagain over priced and not really into a lot of jewelry.

7. There were only a few channels on the television, no dvd players and no access to purchasing movies on the tvs like in hotels. House keeping made the bed and gave you new towels (thats it).nothing was cleaned up or put in the trash, the bill was left for the sodas we drank in the mini bar (which was added to our bill) but no new sodas were put in the mini bar.

8. All of the ports again constant down pour basically had jewelry stores and more jewelry stores to shop at. We did purchase our excursions off of the boat, in town, at port, because it was cheaper than doing it through the cruise line.

9. The boat did offer to provide transportation from the boat to the airport when the cruise was over for a meager $30 USD per person.are you kidding me, 5 of us could take a taxi for less than $30.we didnt of courseit was beautiful in Vancouver when we arrived so we rented a Bus Limo and toured around Vancouver for $100/hr but they stopped where we wanted, we took the kids to the aquarium at Stanley park and the swinging bridge (cant remember name of it)Vancouv was best.

Pros: Le Bistro Restaurant

Cons: Everything Else

Recommends Norwegian Sun? No.