Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

My sister and I just returned from the November 30th sailing of the Norwegian Sun and we had a wonderful time. This was my fourth cruise line, and the first cruise on Norwegian. Overall, it was a great experience. The weather was outstanding and we didn't have a single day of rough seas.Embarkation was easy, though we did wait in line for about one hour. But, in a huge difference from Carnival, there was only one line that took care of everything.The ship is beautiful and clean . We were always running across one crewmember or another cleaning railings, walls, elevators, etc. The decor is very understated, not glitzy, but glamorous all the same.I will say that Housekeeping was not quick to respond to requests. Upon arrival in our balcony stateroom (balconies are the best!), we needed the beds separated. Several hours, and two phone calls, later, we were still waiting. I finally left a note on the bed and when the cabin stewardess came in for turn down service that night, she did separate the beds. We also had to track down extra towels on two different occasions, after having phone calls ignored. After that, they always provided us with plenty.The food, in general, was very good. For those who complain about the buffet, IT'S A BUFFET! It's set up to feed the masses, quickly and easily. I thought the food in the main dining rooms was much better than average (no one beats Celebrity for the food), and the two alternative restaurants we tried were excellent! My sister's main disappointment was with the lack of good chocolate desserts after dinners! Freestyle Cruising has its pros and cons. You can eat whenever you want, and despite what I've read in other reviews, we never had to wait to get into either of the main restaurants. We could choose to sit by ourselves or join another table. The drawback is that the wait staff doesn't get to know your individual preferences as they do in assigned-seating dining. Unless you find a waiter you like and request his section.As for the itinerary, while both Roatan and Belize are definitely poor nations, our excursions were terrific. We snorkeled with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, snorkeled off Tabyana Beach in Roatan (the best snorkeling I've ever done), went cave tubing in Belize (what a blast! Yes, it's a muddy walk to the river, but worth it) and went to the Tulum ruins in Mexico. The excursions offered were varied and there was something for everyone. Several were very expensive but many were very reasonably priced.Disembarkation was the simplest I've ever experienced. I would definitely recommend this cruise, though I agree with other reviewers. If you're looking for a party ship, this is not the cruise for you.As a final note, Bingo Bruce, the Assistant Cruise Director, deserves to made Cruise Director. He's terrific!