Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

This was my second experience cruising. My first experience (Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas), was great until I tried Norwegian Sun! There were no 6 a.m. broadcasts daily, directly into my room or any other time of the day except the last day announcing departure and the emegency evacuation training on the first day. Although I did miss the towels made into various animals waiting on my bed every evening, I did have a much larger room. I'll take a larger room and a mint on my pillow to a small room and a towel animal any day! The crowd was enthusiastic and ready to party. Although there were many places to eat, we chose the buffet. Lots of choices. For those who complain that the food didn't meet their expectations, I found that if you arrived before 10 you could have your breakfast cooked to your specifications. There was even a guy at the pasta area who prepared it "as you liked." I was grateful for the gym and the various exercise options. I tried Spinning and Boot Camp - both on the last day at sea (BIG mistake) but used the gym regularly on other days. Pennance for my sins, which were many! I did find the Happy Hours to be a little weak for the price although plentiful. The casino may have given out a few jackpots but I heard more screams at the tables than at the slots. The tours were many and, if you read some of the other reviews, were great. Some folks complained about the prices, but when you think of the insurance you bought along with them (the ship would wait until your tour returned) it was worth it. There was a wide range of prices that made it possible to do something at each stop no matter how minimal...and there was always the option of doing a walking tour on your own or hopping a taxi. I found Roatan to be a bit third world (our Tour guide didn't have the same opinion, of course), enjoyed Cozumel (Tulum, shopping and Sr. Frogs!!), Belize (taxi tour of the city) and Grand Cayman (city tour). The entertainment on board was primo! Cirque de Pan, Jane Powell and Twice as Nice (a nightly event) were thoroughly enjoyed. When you're on a budget, being told that $10/night will be charged as a tip does make you smoulder a bit but, by the end of the trip, we acknowledged that if we had chosen to tip at the end our remaining funds would have limited us from tipping what was surely deserved. There was an additional 15% added to the bar which I couldn't understand. Everyone was upbeat and courteous. Staff dressed up and were on deck to entertain in the evening with the same gusto they showed during the day, wearing the garb of the 60's, 70's, and 80's (Did we really look like that? The elevators worked (a major problem on SOS)and the staff was busy serving and cleaning.We met some great people and shared some great times. Best of all, we weren't pushed off the ship when we docked. We stayed on the ship until about 11 o'clock, having breakfast and relaxing. I hope all of Norwegian's ships are like this. If they are, they've got a customer for a very long time.