Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

Cruise Date: 3/16/02I have read all the other reviews (up to the date this was placed) and I am amazed at the difference some people find on basically the same vacation. We had an extremely positive experience. In particular, the comment I have read in several reviews is that food was served cold. We found just the opposite. My husband works for a very large hotel chain (much of his employment in one of their food service divisions) and very has high standards in this area. Every dinner we had was served piping hot fresh from the kitchen. The only thing I can say is that we are fairly early dinner eaters (6:30ish) so perhaps we were before the rush. One evening my husband ordered steak which was cooked more than was to his liking, and when he brought this to the attention of our waiter, he was very apologetic and offered to bring a new dinner. My husband decided he would rather have what someone else in our group was having and the waiter said "no problem," and his second entree was brought out in almost no time. We did make substitutions and requested things not listed on the menu (mostly for my 8-year-old son) and pretty much every request was accommodated. We were also seated immediately every night. We tried 2 of the specialty restaurants, which we found to be very good. There were 5 of us traveling together, ranging in age from 8 years to 60+. We had all cruised before - at least and as many as 10 previous cruises. We enjoyed all the shows that we saw (almost every night) and for the most part, really enjoyed the excursions we went on (Pirate Ship on Grand Cayman, Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach on Roatan, Cave Tubing in Belize, and Tulum, in Mexico). The Belize City and Sanctuary excursion was not very good according to one of my travel-mates. Also, if we had only done Tabyana Beach on Roatan, it is fairly expensive for what is essentially very similar to the 'private island' option on other cruises, for which there is no charge. But the snorkeling from Tabyana Beach is outstanding and very accessible. My son did not choose to participate in the kids program (we found plenty to do with him between shuffleboard, basketball, golf and batting cages, not to mention the arcade) but other children we talked to all seemed to really enjoy it. Embarkation took a little over an hour but we got there around 12:30 which is peak time. Also, the security measures were clearly part of the delay here and we were all okay with that. Overall, we found this a great experience and booked our next cruise on NCL (the new Dawn) before leaving the ship!