Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

"Never Again on NCL"

Sail Date: November 17, 2007

I was under the assumption that the ship was commissioned in 2002, however after being on the NCL Sun I feel that it was a rebuilt old ship. Everything, elevators, balcony rooms, restarunts etc were all very small.

Pros: The only thing I liked about this cruise is that it left form Miami!

Cons: The Ports of Call

Recommends Norwegian Sun? No.

As stateed above, every thing on this ship was cramped. For a medium size ship, the layout was very bad, (basketball court over the Cafe (Buffett). while you were eating all you could hear is balls bouncing above your head. Elevators were small (no more thant five people in an elevator) Public areas were condensed and cramped, bathroom curtain had mold and mildew on it. Public areas were small and confined. It seems like NCL tried to condense a large ship atmosphere into this smaller ship.
I normally book a suite but I decided to take family with me so I booked a Balcony, the siz of this balcony stateroom was rather samll compared to other cruise lines. The decor was just OK. the amenities was liquid soap and combined shampoo and conditioner that was rather tough trying to get it out of the dispensers. the shower stall curtain was very dirty on the bottom and was moldy and smelled like mildew. I thought the least they could have done was change the shower curtain. I was told tey did not have anymore curtains....The only good thing about the very small balcony stateroom is that it was near the very small elevators....
I cruised on NCL 4 years ago and all the staff were more than friendly. They would do anything thing to make sure you were having a great time and vacation. the cabin stewards addressed you mr. and your surname. I do not know what has happened. there were very few friendly staff on this ship. It seemed that every time I went to the fron desk, it was a hassell for them to wait on me. They were not friendly, and very few staff went above and beyond.
All I have to say is that NCL spent very little expense for the talent, and that is using the term lightly.
I did like the freestyle dinning, however the overall quality of food was just poor to average. The speciality restaurant (which cost 20 dollars a head) was actually very good. We ate in the speciality restaurants 3 out of the seven nights. The other four nights the food was jus OK and the last night it was just plain lousy.
Belize City, Belize
Average port, locals trying to sell goods, One small area that was blocked off so that the tourist were not allowed to go beyond certain shopping area unless they were on a shore excursion.
Have been to cozumel on prior cruise. Great shopping
Don't Miss: Dolphin Swim!!!
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
Beach sand was full of rocks and locals selling there goods at very high prices.
Don't Miss: stay on the ship!!!
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
I had a 5 year old with me that actually witnesses a man being clubed by armed guards as they chased him down the dirty streets. He cried to go back on the ship.
Don't Miss: Forget don't miss, Avoid it if you can