Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Worst Ship I've Ever Been On!

Sail Date: December 01, 2014

This was my 5th cruise - 1st with Norwegian. I must say\, short of them giving me a free cruise\, it will be my last with them! The ship was falling apart\, many areas were visibly 'broken' in disrepair. We even got locked out on our balcony! Balcony cabin was extremely small! Food was limited and not that great\, our room steward was awesome\, but all other service providers were merely substandard. No one went out of their way to be friendly or engaging. Didn't see many \"happy\" faces. I was shocked & disappointed by the lack of entertainment options on board. And their \"vegas\" show was awful! I think I could have sang & danced better\, and that's not saying much! Overall\, extremely disappointed in this cruise!

Pros: Not much\, price was decent - but guess I got what I paid for

Cons: Ship was falling apart\, very limited/lack of entertainment\, service & food were only sub par

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.

Not a big fan of the \"freestyle\" dining. It's not what it's cracked up to be. Most places close early or open very late. One morning we tried to go to the dining room for breakfast at 9am. It was closed already! And no formal\, lobster dinner nights - even on a 7 day cruise! I will say\, I was impressed that they had someone manning each door to all resteraunts with a spray bottle of sanitizer/alcohol. At least they were working hard to protect our health! Food choices were interesting\, we found the best could be found at the \"cafeteria\" buffet area\, although temperatures weren't always that great.
Cabin was VERY small and cramped. Broken closet door\, broken balcony door\, bathroom shower door needed repaired as well. Clearly this is an older ship that needs to be dry docked and repaired extensively!
If it weren't for our room steward\, this rating would be at \"poor\" Most of the staff were 'just doing a job'. No one stood out as outstanding or friendly. Not even the cruise director or his staff. May seem petty\, but the cruise director's staff wore street clothes\, so it was very difficult to even tell who they were if you hadn't met them already!
Limited pools\, even though they list 4 - that is including the spa one that you can't use unless you spend $$\, and the main pool had 2 small pools attached - there's your 4. We had high winds a few times\, pool closed down. They did have many hot tubs\, but on the adult only deck there was only one hot tub\, and not all the jets were working. Very limited activities\, no night clubs to dance. Most fun we had was doing karaoke\, but even that was broken one night! I was also disappointed that it felt like the main purpose of every activity was trying to get us to buy stuff. Whether it was bingo cards (they pushed that BIG time)\, or Deal or No Deal (which I actually enjoyed watching) or your next cruise\, etc.