Another Enjoyable Cruise

Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Sail Date: November 01, 2014
Ship: Norwegian Star
This is our fourth NCL cruise and fourth ship. Upon boarding\, I saw what I expected from Norwegian: good directional signs\, helpful staff\, buffet lunch ready. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the announcement that staterooms were ready after lunch\, although we didn't see our luggage until after dinner that evening. Totally understandable when thousands of pieces of luggage had to be loaded\, sorted and delivered. The safety briefing was given in several locations which made it easier to avoid congestion in the theater or elevators. So far\, so good!

We did not go to any of the specialty restaurants but we sampled every venue that didn't require a cover charge. My favorite venue was Aqua. It just seemed more intimate than the huge Versailles. As for staff friendliness\, the Blue Lagoon is a close runner-up. My least favorite venue was the buffet. The food was excellent\, but the layout tended to create long lines at the entryway. I saw many restaurant officers walking around and taking care of passengers' needs\, but no one told people in line that there was another line on the other side--no waiting there. Good variety of food. Staff was quick to clear tables for future use. Sometimes it was hard to reach the food because of the plastic cover (put there for hygienic purposes\, I'm sure). I would suggest having someone behind the counter help to dish the food. This would keep the buffet line cleaner.

Definitely superb! We found ourselves regularly going to the 7pm show and then hanging out at the Atrium to listen to the Melodic Trio. On sea days there were so many options that I had to prioritize my choices.

Cannot say enough good words about the staff. I think NCL does an excellent job of training employees to go above and beyond. When I called the front desk about a light going out in the bathroom\, they sent someone immediately to take care of the problem. Later in the day\, someone from front desk called to verify that the light issue was resolved. Another time I could not open our safe. Staff immediately came in to unlock the safe in less than a minute. This is the \"johnny-on-the-spot\" service I have come to expect from NCL; hence our fourth trip with them.

It was readily apparent that the Star is an older ship which has seen many voyages. No complaints about layout or condition of public areas\, or decor or cleanliness or accessibility. Once I got my bearing\, I had no problem in finding my way around.

We had everything one would need in a hotel room. However\, the room just looked awfully tired and in need of a facelift.

Pros: Entertainment

Cons: Buffet venue

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!