Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Avoid at all costs

Sail Date: November 01, 2011

Cruise on Norwegian Star out of Tampa to Western Caribbean. We have been on 12 other cruises (Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Holland America), but this is the first and last on Norwegian. I cant imagine Norwegian operates all their ships like this one; they would be out of business if they did. There is many reasons to avoid this ship, the biggest being the food. What a joke! All you do is wait in line for very lousy food. We waited in line for about an hour every night. Every other cruise we have been on we have really liked the food. This was absolutely terrible. We ate in a "pay for" restaurant the last night and the food was better but I have a hard time paying $25 for something that should be included. The rooms were smaller than any other ship that we have been on. Given all the other problems, this was a minor issue but still irritating. Their staff was very very poor. Again, we have always been very impressed on all our other cruises. Normally we have a great time interacting with the staff. They usually go out of their way to make you feel good (you know they are working for tips). I wonder how Norwegian pays their staff. It seems like they don't get tips but get bonuses to get you to pay more money. They are always bugging you to buy something else -- very annoying. Lastly the entertainment was very questionable. They nightly shows were ok but nothing to write home about. On all other cruises that we have been on; there are always many entertainment options to choose from. Usually you can't decide on what you want to do. There is always a band, show, musical group, sporting event or other entertainment to take part in. There seemed to be very little happening on this ship. No bands or activities out by the pool, no live music in the bars, besides the shows, very little in the lounge. We do not sunbath too much by the pool but if you do, forget about getting a lounge chair. They don't have nearly enough chairs. I never walked on the top deck that I didn't see one open lounge chair, even at 8:00 in the morning or 6:00 at night. We heard a lot of people complaining about this. It wasn't that there wasn't enough room; there was plenty of open space on the top decks. Lastly, we were totally surprised that we had to pay extra to use the second pool. And not just a couple bucks but I believe it was $90, what a joke. I know the trend on all cruise lines is to pay for more and more things but Norwegian has taken it too the next level. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. As you can probably tell, we will not be traveling with Norwegian again.

Pros: The on shore ports of call

Cons: Just about everything

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.

Smaller than we have ever seen.
Besides the shows, very little entertainment or organized activities.
Wait in long lines for terrible food.
Very rude and not accommodating. Made you feel like you were always putting them out when you asked for something
This was actually acceptable, nothing to brag about but ok.