Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

NCL Star Hiatus/ Left Behind in PV

Sail Date: April 01, 2011

Room Type: Suite

NCL Hiatus
My husband & I went on a Mexican Riviera Cruise on 04/09-04/16/2011 for what we had hoped to be an unforgettable 30th wedding anniversary. The beginning of the cruise was somewhat uneventful considering that we had been cruising for 20+ times. We were somewhat disappointed on the so called mini suite with balcony because it appeared a lot smaller than the Regular Balcony Cabin we had occupied @ the NCL, Dawn in 2004 & a lot smaller in comparison with other Cruise Liner with similar category cabin. The food was somewhat average. The line at the regular Dining Rooms were always enormously long that we end up always eating @ a specialty restaurant with cover charge, of course which varies from $10-25pp (the negative side of Freestyle Cruising)We tried Le Bistro on the actual day of our anniversary,04/11/11 & the food was awesome & the service was excellent, thanks to our server, Cristy. We spent an additional $120.00, $25pp/cover charge + additional $10pp for the type of menu we selected & a bottle of wine + 18% gratuity included. I also tried a Spa Treatment, a stone massage & mini facial which was acceptable, Cherry, the Masseuse was exceptionally nice with great customer service, however she can definitely hone in on her skills, I had better experiences before. They canceled Mazatlan for Security & Safety reasons so we docked twice @ Cabo San Lucas which was beautiful as ever.(we went on a Carnival Mexican Riviera Cruise about 14 years ago & there was no beach on the other side where the arch & cave & rock formation is located.) To cut the story short, this cruise was mediocre at best in comparison with our other luding with the previous Mexican Riviera Cruise we took 14 years ago.
The highlight of this Cruise for us was when we were left behind in Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday, 04/13/11. There was so many time changes, firstly the difference between the Ship's time & Los Angeles daylight' saving time, secondly there was also a time difference between Mexico & the ship's time so both my husband & I were confused about the time that we missed the deadline to get back to the ship. Funny part was we decided to only hang out at the Mall across the Port where our ship was docked after I had a Spa Treatment @ the same Mall ( which may I add was a lot better & a lot cheaper than NCL's Mandara Spa) & thought we still had plenty of time so we decided to have some Dryers Ice Cream. We were both enjoying our ice cream when my husband said, "I think that's our ship & I think it's moving" I looked at his watch & it read a few minutes before 3pm, I said " Nah, we have time, we're supposed to go back @ 3:30 PM, you did synchronize your watch with the ship's time, didn't you?" He nodded & then we decided to walk around the mall again. Then, his cell phone rang, our son Kris on the other end & asked "Where are you guys @, Are you safe?" My husband replied, "Of course we are & why wouldn't we be safe? We're here at the Mall across the Port." "Well, the ship called & said, they left without you" Kris added. Just as my husband finished repeating the news to me, we both looked at each other then screamed, "nooooo" & started running like we had never ran in our lives before but just the same we saw the ship sailing away!!!

The ship finally contacted my husband & instructed him to get some assistance from Javier, the Port Agent for all Cruise Liner. Javier was very polite & helpful & he pleaded for us via text to the Ship's crew to try to get us back in the ship as he had witnessed it to have occurred before in several occasions with other Cruise Liner upon the discretion of the Ship's Captain but to no avail. He said, NCL is the most difficult Cruise Liner to deal with when it comes to similar situations such as ours, which by the way, according to him happens quite often if not every week. He also tried to convince them to at least send our passports & dia

Pros: too upset to recall

Cons: Everything

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.