Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

no a bright star

Sail Date: June 01, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Alaska is beautiful
However, We traveled to Alaska on the Norwegian Star and were very disappointed in every aspect of the ship.
The staterooms are smaller than any other cruise that I have been on, and the bed was the worst bed I have ever been forced to sleep on, and I was in the Navy. None of my traveling party got a full night's sleep for the entire 7 night cruise. But, the stateroom was kept very clean by the staff.
The "Freestyle" dining is just an excuse to charge you for meals that every other cruise line includes in the ticket price. The reservations were a joke, I were never able to get a reservation at "Endless Summer" I even offered to make the reservation for 48 hours from the exact time that I was standing at the reservations desk, but was denied this opportunity. The food at Aqua and Versailles was good, but nothing extraordinary. The Market Cafe had typical sub-par food as expected from a feeding trough. The Blue Lagoon was nice, but the seats are very uncomfortable, comparable to sitting on a 5 gallon bucket and it has a major hallway running through it. I am not a fan of eating for an audience. I refused to pay for another meal from this horrible ship and we paid money to good restaurants at the ports, which were the best meals we had and some were cheaper than the ship.
We did the Lumber Jack show in Ketchikan, and it was great entertainment, I would highly recommend this to anyone. In Juneau and Skagway we rented a car and took driving tours that my wife found on the internet. The sights were unbelievable, I highly recommend this to anyone and it was cheaper that most excursions. This also gave us time to get away from the ship and regain our sanity.
There was some free time during which Ricky, the cruise director, and Q, his assistant tried to sell BINGO, art, jewelry, shore excursions, and anything else that they could milk more money out of you for. I felt like I was in Tijuana. We paid a lot of money for this cruise, and they want to bleed you for more.
We even tried to kill time by reading in the library, only to hear the announcements drone on and on for minutes at a time. They keep talking but say nothing, only sales pitches. I am sure that they would charge you extra to look at the beautiful sites, if they could figure out how to do it.
The captain also announced the last few days that there had been a large number of illnesses reported on the ship, and asked us to pay special attention to hand washing. This eliminated self service at Market Cafe, which made the lines even longer, so that a server can put items on your plate from the other side of the glass and act surly towards you when you ask for more than one piece of bacon. The Captain called it H or G or some other letter, you kind of block it out after 500 or so announcements.
No sleep, questionable food, and endless sales pitches are what you get on this cruise line. I just wanted to warn other unsuspecting travelers, who are expecting a relaxing get away that it will be hard to find here.
I will not sail with Norwegian again.

Pros: the views

Cons: stateroom

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.