Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Sail Date: January 01, 2008

Room Type: Suite

This was the worst cruise my wife and I have ever taken. Embarkation was easy at the Port (I'm sure in no part due to NCL). Prior to getting on the ship, all passengers were forced to fill out a form asking if we had any symptoms GI illness. I started thinking to myself why are they doing this? I found out later in the cruise. The public areas of the ship are beautiful (except for the bathrooms, I'll explain later). We were allowed to enter our state rooms at 2:00PM at which time I noticed a foul smell coming from the bathroom. I notified the room steward who told me it was "sewer gas" coming from the toilet. I found out later the smell was coming from the sink and tub drain. The room was very dusty and was not up to my standard of clean. On day two of the cruise, my wife and I noticed a lot of hand sanitizer machines popping up all over the ship. The captain and cruise director then advised that there were a few cases of norwalk virus on the ship and to wash your hands. The staff would literally chase you to make sure your hands were sprayed prior to entering a restaurant. As the cruise lingered on, there were approx. 100 people infected with Norwalk. We were afraid that if we lingered too long in a public area we would be infected also. When you tried to wash your hands after using a public restroom, we learned that most of the time there was no hot water of paper towels to dry your hands. It seems to me that if they were trying so hard to control the Norwalk virus they would make sure there was plenty of hot water and paper towels. On day five of the cruise, the captain in his infinite wisdom stated that someone brought the Norwalk Virus onto the ship in LA. According the the Center for Disease Control, "Norwalk Virus Outbreaks of norovirus disease often occur in closed or semi-closed communities, such as long-term care facilities, hospitals, prisons and cruise ships where once the virus has been introduced, the infection spreads very rapidly by either person-to-person transmission or through contaminated food.[6] Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person." Since I highly doubt anyone on the ship was in a penal institution or long term care facility it stands to reason that the virus was already on the ship prior to embarkation. The only thing the cruise line did to remedy the problem was to give a whopping $200.00 shipboard credit to the persons infected, which I'm sure was fabulous for them because they were forced to remain in their cabins. My cabin card shut off three times forcing me to have to walk to the lobby, stand in line ( once in a wet swimsuit ) and wait for a new card. On the last night of the cruise, my wife wanted to purchase a sweatshirt due to the cold weather. She presented her cruise card to pay at which time the staff in the gift shop refused to take her card because the computer had her maiden name and the card was in her married name. I complained to the staff and as usual nothing was done. I'm sure somewhere in my luggage, I packed a machine capable of counterfeiting the cruise cards......The price is low for a reason people.....STAY AWAY FROM NCL AND TAKE ANOTHER LINE!!! Oh and the service was horrible in all of the restaurants. You might get your side dishes once you ate your mean. Maybe your cocktail with your desert. WORST EVER STAY AWAY!!!

Pros: Ports thats about it!

Cons: Service, Rude Staff, Norwalk Virus

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.