Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Worst NCL Cruise I've Experienced

Sail Date: September 01, 2007

This was my 3rd and last NCL cruise. Apparently since they changed ownership several years ago, they are NOT what they used to be. I used to RAVE about NCL....never again. Their Freestyle Cruising is a joke. Yes, you have the option of dining whenever and no assigned seating. But they have too many specialty restaurants where you have to PAY to eat there. You also have to PAY extra to use their inside pool. I thought that $10 per person per day was just fine and dandy for them to add to our account for tips, but they also add an additional 18% (15% in rare circumstances) gratuity to ANY service you receive. My $1.75 coke cost over $2.00 by the time I paid the 18% gratuity. Thankfully I drank mostly water. But you should have seen the look my husband got when we kept being hounded by a waiter asking if we would like something from the bar. My husband was thirsty and just wanted water and he got a nasty look. They also don't have nearly as many activities available that are free. I used to be able to keep busy onboard without having to spend an arm and a leg. We spent the longest time in the smallest port of call! I couldn't understand that! After our excursion and walking around to all the shops, I still had HOURS left and nothing to do. But there wasn't enough time in the 2 largest ports. The cabin stewards on our floor also had their carts in the hallway 90% of the time. My dad is in a wheelchair and they made it difficult to maneuver around their items. On previous NCL cruises, I practically never even saw the cabin stewards and my room was always nice! There were many wheelchair-bound individuals on this cruise and the ship had areas that were not accessible. They even had the Chocoholic Buffet on an elevated floor that was not accessible to individuals in the wheelchairs. Yep! NCL has lost my business!! There are LOTS of cruise lines out there and I'll be searching for one that is like what NCL USED to be like!!

Pros: Traveling with my husband and parents.

Cons: Not long enough in ports; All around poor planning on NCL's part

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.