Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Will not cruise Norwegian again!!

Sail Date: December 01, 2006

This was my 7th cruise and 2nd on Norwegian. My first cruise with NCL was in 1995 and I was hoping for the same great experience, I was wrong. The boarding of the ship in San Pedro was not organized. The port was dirty and cold. Restroom were not clean. We got off 2 hours late, because of the unorganized boarding. Not enough NCL staff with information. Once on the ship lines with people where everywhere. I stood in line for 45 mins to make reservations at there " special resturants", which turned out to be a rip off and the food was not that great especailly for the surchage of 15-20 dollars per person. It started to rain when we left port, the BBQ on the deck was cold and wet but they were still serving.
There were children unsupervised everywhere. The only time I could get into the hot tub was at night. Otherwise they were always occupied by teenagers with no supervision. Many small children under 15 were running, yes running around the boat without parents. A few fell on the swiming deck and hurt themselves.
The sun deck was too small and consumed by a small pool and 2 waterslides that if you were over 100 lbs. you could not get on. People started holding chairs with towels at 8am it you did not get a spot by 10am you were not going to get on the sun deck. NCL staff was not monitoring the situation and seemed to not care, people where moving chairs around in walkways and anywere to get sun, I think it was a hazard. I would like to had more rules that were followed or enforced by NCL staff. It just seemed like everything and anything goes without rules. The screaming from the kids was so bad on the 4th day, I sat on the sun deck with ear plugs just to try to enjoy my self. I was totally disgusted.
The cinema was bad, the screen was just as old as the ship without any new tech upgrades, the screen was grainy and poor quality. They played the same movies that were on TV in the stateroom. The seats were not comfortable and not refreshments or food was allowed, not even popcorn.
My overall impression is that not enough supervision or secrity enforced and not enough space for dinner. I do not like freestyle cruising if it means I have to stand in line for 45 mins every night to eat because they do not take reservations for the general dining hall and unless you want to pay you will just wait. Or maybe you can eat at the buffet every night if you like.
I will not cruise this ship or NCL again.

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: Food and too many children ( under 18)

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.