Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Let me point out that I was not overly enthusiastic about going on a cruise - a huge "tour bus" in my eyes, was my original feeling. However, after getting over my sea legs (first night was very rough - but managed to handle with no medications), I am now ready to be an ambassador for NCL.My husband and I are trying to think up ways to save money for our next cruise - hopefully in the Mediterranean. Despite the amount of passengers (2,500), the ship is so large that you can easily find a place by yourself or with others. Embarkation was a bit of a drag - but orange juice and water were offered to everyone and we chatted with other people, so time passed quickly. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get through embarkation. Not being a U.S. resident was a bit of a worry before hand, but it turned out not to be a problem at all.The Freestyle service was excellent. I was apprehensive at first, since I am a diabetic (insulin dependent) and thought it would be difficult managing all the good food in front of me. In actual fact, it was the opposite for me, because we were walking, swimming and keeping more active than normal due to all the activities available. I had trouble maintaining normal levels of blood sugars due to being low and therefore I took less insulin, which I also owe to having NO STRESS while on this cruise.The entertainment was excellent. We managed to see Bertie Higgins along with his Boneheads (his fans from all over - hi Judi if you are reading this. The magician - from B.C. (we are Canadian), was really good - along with his wife and little daughter. Another show we saw that was excellent was put on by the Jean Ann Ryan group. It was like going to Broadway, except for a couple of old timers behind us grumbling that it made no sense. Once you shut them out of your mind, it was awesome. If it hadn't been for us seeing the early show - and having dinner afterward - we would have stayed for the second showing and got front row seats!The cabin was fine, despite some of the reports I had read when researching for our first cruise. We live in a small house to begin with - so the bathroom - everything was perfect. Having our beds turned down at night with chocolates on the pillow and the cabin lights on dim was so nice to come back to after a long day.I have no complaints at all about the Norwegian Star, except I wish that the handing out of foreign passports could have been done on the night before departure. You have to get up fairly early the day you arrive at the Port of Miami as they want you off by 10:30. I had assumed we could leave by 12:00, and we felt a bit rushed. Otherwise, it would have been a bit better. We just got so spoiled being taken care of the staff in the two "fancy" restaurants (where you don't pay extra - but it feels very posh). Also, what was very handy - not that we did it ourselves - but you can purchase a bottle of wine - and the staff will keep it for you for your next meal until it is all finished. You also can bring your own wine, which they will also keep for you in the same way (we asked since we had packed one), but they will charge you a corking fee of $10USD. So it almost works out to the same if you had purchased a bottle of wine from them. So, please - hopefully this cruise review will make you excited about your cruise. I think I read too many "bad" reviews before the trip, and along with the airport security since September 11th, built a mountain out of a mole hill .Just go in with the attitude of making the most of it - and having a good time!