Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Nice cruise

Sail Date: April 01, 2010

We took this same ship for the same cruise last year and loved it -- even though it was during Spring Break and the ship was full. This year, the ship was not full, but the services were not as good as last year. They were also "remodeling" a portion of the ship which formerly included a library, game room, meeting room and small theater. I understood from staff that they were now turning these formerly nice public areas into suites. The construction was loud if I wanted to lay down and take a nap during the day in our room. I was also quite disappointed that they moved the "Friends of Bill W" meeting from 5:00 in the afternoon in a nice meeting room, to 3:00 in the afternoon in one of the restaurants which took place while the restaurant was being cleaned and made ready for dinner. Being of Friend of Bill W's, I was annoyed by the constant solicitations for alcoholic drinks, but that took place last year too, and is something I just get used to. On the plus side, our cabin stewards were fantastic, the "freestyle cruising" is still such a plus, the restaurants were great, the buffet was good morning, noon and night and the shows (all included in the price) were good. The condition of the ship is excellent. We had a balcony room again and it was spacious enough, with a nice size bathroom. I really liked the Norweigian Star before they took out the public areas, but it's still a good ship. I could pass on Mazatlan, but we had a great time in Puerto Vallarta on the shore excursion to Las Calitas. My daughter and boyfriend took the adventure shore excursion where they ziplined, and they really enjoyed it also.

Pros: Specialty Restaurants

Cons: Noise from construction and they took away all the public meeting areas on the ship to turn into suites

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

The shows are entertaining
Freestyle cruising with no set eating times is great. The specialty restaurants are really good and only cost a nominal fee for what you get. Tappanaki, Sushi, Steakhouse and Endless Summer (Tex Mex) were all great. Service was excellent too.
We had a balcony room and I loved it except for the noise from the construction
Our ship stewards, just like last year, were the best!