Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

I would definitely say to stay away from this cruise and I will give you a bunch of reasons for it. From the moment we got on board the ship we were unhappy. The people who worked on the ship were very unfriendly and rude. They made it seem like they hated their jobs and could care less about the people traveling on board. I would say the only nice people were some of the employees in the casino and one German man who worked at the customer service desk. I actually got a bunch of the casino people's information and have stayed in touch with them.

Next was the Freestyle dining. I understand that I knew about it before I got on the boat, however, I did not expect to have to wait over 45 minutes every night sitting on the floor outside the restaurant to have dinner. I think that is absurd. If wait times are going to be that long, then you should be able to make a reservation. On top of that the food was god awful. I think I actually lost weight on this ship cause I couldn't eat anything it was soo bad. The only good food was in the restaurant you had to pay extra for - OF COURSE!

Getting off the ship at ports was also a huge problem. Well the ports that you had to be tendered at. NCL tries to makes things more organized but in the end it makes things a lot worse. On every ship I have ever been on, when you wanted to get off the boat you did. You wait in line for a tender and then get on it. On NCL you have to get a ticket to get off and are not allowed off until they call you color AND number. We got to the port at 11 AM and we left at 5 PM. I was in the middle of the tickets given and I was not allowed off until 1:30! I'm sorry but when I have to wait on the ship for half the day to get off I am not happy. Not to mention we got up early to get in line to get tickets. When looking around while waiting to get off, I have never seen so many unhappy people. How can you run a cruise line with so many unhappy people?

Another problem we had was the activities on board. There was really nothing at all to do. I don't think I saw the cruise director on board the ship once. I have been on over 8 cruises and every single one of them always had activities going on and I was very disappointed that this one did not. There were no activities by the pool on sea days and nothing at night but shows. Once it hit 10 PM it is like every person who worked on the boat went to bed.

Lastly, there were not nearly enough chairs by the pool or top decks of the boat. My friends and I would get up at 10 AM and be by the pool by 10:30 AM the latest and there would not be a single chair available. Instead of having lounge chairs they have these little tables all around the pool. I can say most people are not going by the pool to sit by a table, they want to go by the pool to lay out and relax. The thing that drove me crazy too was there was soo much space to put more chairs, however they were all locked up and when asking if I could use one, I got yelled at by the cruise staff.

Pros: The pool band, Xcite, and the restaurants you had to pay for. It's good for a first time cruiser who is in college but that is about it.

Cons: pretty much everything

Recommends Norwegian Star? No.

The food was awful. I have never lost weight on a cruise before and I actually did on this one because I could not bear to eat the food. The only good food you could get was at the restaurants you had to pay extra for and that still was not that great.

A huge problem with dining was the freestyle part. I enjoyed the IDEA of getting to eat when I wanted, however, in reality I have to go to dinner 45 minutes to an hour before I wanted to eat to wait for a table. It was ridiculous!
The staff was really really bad. They were very unfriendly and rude. They seemed like they did not want to be there and were not happy at all to help. When you asked them to do something they would give you a displeased look. The only nice people on board were a German man at the customer service desk and the casino staff.
I think the layout is pretty good minus the pool being very small and lack of lounge chairs.
I would say the stateroom quality was pretty good. I liked the layout of the bathroom and it was bigger then most ships that I have been on. We had a balcony room and although it was a little smaller compared to most ships I have been on, it was still a pretty nice room.
Activities were non existent. The only thing the boat had were shows that were alright and bingo. Anything else was not there. I do not think I saw the cruise director once. I couldn't even tell you his name or what he looked like.