Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Hawaii - Don`t Cruise It!

We took this cruise in January, my parents, husband and I met my mother-in-law in LA and went on to meet my sister-in-law and nephew from New Zealand in Honolulu. The new Star is gorgeous, the assortment of restaurants quite diverse, freestyle dining very relaxing. Here are the problems - this is a new run for Norwegian and they really need to work out many, many kinks. Most of the ports of call are arrived at by tender (by small boat from the cruise ship) and not by docking. Therefore swell conditions prevented our arrival at several ports. We were STUCK on the boat from Sunday until Friday! The boat is big enough that the effects of seasickness were not widespread but for those poor sufferers... no reprieve for FIVE days. The acitivies people were not very good at providing alternate activities for those days we were on board - an added Bingo didn`t really help. The point of taking a Hawaiian cruise was to see a variety of the islands - instead we saw a lot of the ship. An incredible disappointment. We would have been MUCH happier with a land based stay on any of the islands. You might think this was just bad luck for the week of our cruise but my investigations revealed that a least one port, usually two, had been missed every week prior to our trip and in fact, they had just started putting into the port of Nawiliwili because they hadn`t been able to tender at an alternate site at all on previous trips. I also heard they were going to start using Hilo since Kona had proved impossible on most trips. My advice - if you`re going to go all the way to Hawaii and want to see several islands - spend the extra bucks to fly between them and stay land based.