Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A great family vacation

Sail Date: May 01, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Overall, the ship was impressively kept well, considering it is nearly 9 years old. I sailed ona brand new ship 5 years ago, and this ship was almost comparably clean! THe staff were really helpful and nice. The food selection was good, and the flexibility unbeatable. They even had a kids club that allowe us to go on an adult excursion offshore, and on another day, eat a nice dinner without the kids. The kids center kept them busy, but some of the employees that worked there didn't look like they liked kids. Some looked tired...and this was only the second sailing of the season! I thought the cabin was kept tidy and they always seemed to know when we leave so they can clean it. They left towel folded animals and chocolates for us every night. All of the restaurant staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, except for 1 waiter in Aqua. Food quality was good, and great in some places (Cagney's). Overall, I would sail on this ship again, but I'm going to try another destination. One last thing: They lost 1 of my bags (the most important one with the diapers), and it took past 10 PM to get to my stateroom (I checked in at noon!). Make sure you pack whatever you need in your carry on just in case this happens to you. After talking to several staff members, FINALLY they found my bag!!

Pros: Cleanliness, flexibility, service

Cons: Some employee attitudes, poor baggage handling

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

BINGO was expensive and short! I went to one session that only had 4 games? For 48 dollars? We went to one production: Music of the night...kinda cheesy..nice try.
Nice restaurants! The only disappointment was the rack of lamb in Le Bistro. Otherwise, I still thought the surcharge was worth it. WE also paid to eat at Cagney's. I had the crab legs: It was great, oyster rockerfeller was fantastic! A really nice dining atmosphere away from the "crowd". The other selections included Tex Mex, Italian, Pac Rim, and Asian (It was ok).
Size was of course, small (Inside), which we expected, but the decor was nice and clean. I like the location of my stateroom, 10th level, forward.
Obviously, there were some exceptional staff, and some others should be re-trained. "Svetlania" from I think Sweden in Versailles (A Gorgeous dining room!) was really great! We also thought our cabin steward (who never told us his name: I think it was Manny) was pretty much hidden. On other ships, the stewrd introduces himself to you at the beginning at asks you to let him know if he can do anything for you on the ship. I thought that was a nice touch that NCL could consider adding.
Staff was "tired" looking except for 1 guy. hey were all really nice, but not really enthusiastic about their jobs. Maybe they should work another place? They did try to do different activities: hat making, eating at the buffet's ice cream, shirt making, they had a good size inflatable playground, and the cutest thing they did was make everyone into pirates with face pait and bandanas. It was also nice that it was free until 10:30 PM. In special cases, it allowed us to get off the ship for an adult excursion ($5/hr surcharge). One last thing: Both our kids came back from the club with mysterious "bites". It looked like bug bites.
With the heightened awareness of H1N1 virus, the staff was very prepped with hand sanitizers everywhere. That was a welcome sight. Because I work in healthcare, I thought that the crew paid very good attention to keeping everything well cleaned. Ok, one last thing: There was a smell of sewage on various sections of the ship (By the kids' club), near the fitness room, and occassionally on our deck (10). I'm not sure what that was about. Finally someone put carpet deodorizer and that helped "mask" the stench. Kinda gross.