Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Excellent cruise

Sail Date: October 29, 2006

Excellent ship with a great layout. I didn't need map to find all the rooms and events. Getting on the ship in California was lengthy (longer than Carnival) and not sure what took so long. Exiting the ship went very smooth and was fast. Bags were easy to find (much better than Carnival).

Pros: Service, food, dance shows, Freestyle dining, ship layout, exiting the ship

Cons: House band (no dancing for younger people), boarding process was lenghty

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

Very clean and new looking ship. Not the best ship I've seen, but very nice. The layout was the best. Wall maps and location of public areas was excellent.
I loved the Freestyle dining where you could goto dinner on your time rather than set times on other cruise lines (6 or 8 pm). You have a choice to sit with people or eat alone. Wait lines were no problem earlier in evening (before 6:30pm), but I heard some people had to wait for awhile between 7 and 8. Reservations taken at some restaurants, but not all, so could be a problem for people eating later in evening. I didn't like having to pay up to $20 per person for a couple speciality restaurants, but I heard the food and service was the best. 24 hour restaurant always available and had great food choices too.
Room was not large, but was comfortable and very clean and new. We were also upgraded to a better room due to a noisy baby being next to our first room. TV available with a several channel choices (better than my Carnival cruise)
Customer service was the best I've had (compared to a prior cruise on Carnival).
Mixed review. I'd say excellent dance and comedy shows (comparable to Las Vegas), but the music was just OK. The house band was so-so and generally played slower waltz type music so I never danced with my partner. The ship did have some special dance nights (50/60s and 70s) that I didn't attend as they started too late (around 11 pm) and they were more costume contests than dance events. We did take onboard dance lessons and the instuctors were excellent. I'd like to see a disco type place onboard for those dancers under 60.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
City tour was much better than Acapulco, but still alot of traffic as two large ships there for the day. I really liked the older part of the city and mexicans were much friendlier and less in your face. Tequilla factory tour was excellent and "Temo" was the best guide.
Acapulco, Mexico
Cliff divers is the only site worth seeing. Too many mexicans in your face selling things. Large dirty city that has not taken advantage of great scenary. Don't buy the city tour/cliff diver shore excursion on the ship as too expensive ($58/person). You could see the cliff divers via taxi for $10/person and skip the city tour. City tour was sitting in traffic for 2 hours and a waste of time.
Don't Miss: Cliff divers.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
EXCELLENT beaches. Use the water taxis to get around as easier than a regular cab. Large boat harbor and many timeshare condos, but the beaches and water were the best of any port.
Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico
Small port with many unique shops. Beaches were nice and I loved the smaller size and slower pace there. Never made long cab ride to Ixtapa.