Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

My third cruise with Norwegian

Sail Date: October 01, 2008

This was my third cruise with Norwegian and I could not help but note how different this cruise was. Although we enjoyed this cruise, it was obvious that many cuts had been made in the overall experience.

It was surprising to me that we received notice three months prior to sailing that our ports and times would be changed due to engine trouble. When is the engine going to be repaired? It is my understanding that the Spirit was headed directly in to another series of cruises down south.

It was disappointing that the majority of dining was "extra charge dining". To charge an extra $10 per person for La

Tratorria was very disappointing. To pay an extra $30 per person for steak and lobster (which has always been included) was shocking. Our group (six people) spent an additional $60 per person for dining.

The lack of daily classes was also disappointing. I've never been on a cruise where only one dance class was offered for the entire cruise. Charging $10 per person for a Pilates class when your Pilates instructor is not a certified Pilates instructor was just not acceptable. When I questioned your instructor on his credentials to teach Pilates he told me he had a BS degree in Sports Physiology and "had taken a few Pilates classes". When he asked if I was going to attend a class I told him, "No, I am an internationally certified Pilates instructor and want an experienced teacher from whom I could learn something." He told me to come to the class so he could learn something from me. What? I'm sure he meant it in jest, but I assured him that if I was going to teach him, he'd have to pay me...not the other way around.

Although our cabin staff was very friendly, the cleanliness of our cabin was lacking. During our entire cruise our cabin was never vacuumed.

The room service menu was so minimal it was easier to just go to Raffles and bring it back to eat on our balcony. The 'specialty' breakfast offered to balcony room guests was a nice touch, though the service was extremely slow.

We did have some highlights: The staff at Champagne Charlie's was exceptional and the Los Amigos group was most enjoyable.

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.