Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

the good, the bad and the ugly

Sail Date: May 01, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

While we loved the classy elegant style of the ship and the shows were classy and glamorous, the kids club was one small room with only appropriate activities for small children. My 11 year old would not go even after reading their itinerary. When he didn't want to eat in the main restaurant (pretty good food), only one out of three requests for room service did we actually get the service, and that time all they would send was iced tea and water in the middle of the day on an at sea day. Very disappointed in room. Smallest room I've ever been in and very little place for non-hanging clothes. Bathroom was nice size. Our phone was broken for three days so we couldn't even call for room service or for wake up calls (we complained twice), our closet door was broken and didn't get fixed until the fourth day when we complained to the maid's manager, our maid didn't clean the room until after 1pm each day, and only a few times did she make the towel animals and put out mints for turn down. For at least three days she didn't change the sheets. 3 souvenier cups missing from our room at end of cruise. We still had to pay $25 a day for the three of us. Food in main restaurant had beautiful presentation, but was only good, not great. Most of the fish options were fantastic, but I broke a temporary crown on the chewy lobster, and my husband's lobster was the size of large prawn. Not the tropical exotic fruits I am used to. Cantalope, watermelon, honeydew and pineapple mostly. Only one midnight buffet that started at 10:30pm, and all restaurants except burger place close at 10pm. Long wait at burger place and few options. Only three hours to shop in Nassau -- one of the greatest disappointments of the trip. If NCL did something to make up for the horrible maid. I didn't care for freestyle dining because the waiters usually didn't come back to give more iced tea or water or coffee. Juice only available at breakfast, which shocked me with the price we paid for the cruise. I liked other ships we've been on and tipping room person and waiters. They really worked alot harder than the staff on this ship. Again, the shows were great, it was a family friendly atmosphere, and and elegant ship. Except for almost no time in Nassau, the excursions were nice. Would like to see scuba diving option. They should spend a full day in Nassau and only a half day on their private island and go to the private island last. Front desk people and excursion desk people were wonderful. If you have kids, go Disney. If you like alot of great food and many midnight buffets, go Carnival. If you like elegant and quiet, go Norweigan. We would go Norweigan again without our son, and with a better room and better room person.

Pros: elegant, classy ship and most of the personnel onboard were classy

Cons: tiny brokendown room, extremely bad maid, no room service, had to pay maid tip