Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

You take the good, you take the bad...

Sail Date: January 20, 2008

The ship itself was clean and well decorated. The staff was friendly and polite. But from the minute you walk onto the ship there is a crew member trying to get you to buy something. Usually it's drinks (which are VERY expensive on this ship), but they also wanted $40-$100 to play BINGO, and $15-$25 to dine in the restaraunts serving the "cruise" food that you would expect.

The live music on the ship was outstanding. All of the performers in the theater were wonderful and approachable. You can even stop the head chef in the hall and chat with him!

My wife and I had a room with a balcony and it was awesome. We woke up every morning and enjoyed a cup of coffee while watching the sun rise out of the ocean. Our room steward was great too, the place was always spotless.

Pros: Ports (Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico), Staff, Activities

Cons: Costs, food

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.

Again, I was very disappointed that you had to pay extra to eat at 5 out of 7of the sit down restataunts on the boat. The food in the "free" dining rooms was good, but it wasn't the food you hear everyone talking about when they come back from a cruise.
Belize City, Belize
Another excellent place to stop. We took a tour bus up to see the Myan ruins of Altun Ha which were incredible. They even let you climb to the top of one of the ruins. There's an incredible amount of history in Belize. And this port was built more for tourism too. Plenty of shopping... just make sure you haggle for the best deal.
Don't Miss: Myan Ruins of Altun Ha (Belkin beer too)
Belize City, Belize
Don't Miss: Myan Ruins of Altun Ha (Belkin beer too)
If you're visiting Cozumel, don't book an excursion through the ship. As soon as step off the boat there are hundreds of legit tour guides selling the same tours at 1/4 of the price. Of all the places we visited, Cozumel was the only one that was "what I expected." Lots of little shops, taxis everywhere, people everywhere, etc. My wife and I went on a 2.5 hour snorkle and it was great, although, if you're in it for snorkling, I was told that Belize is the better option.
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
An absolutely beautiful place once you get past the town that surrounds the port. The second you walk out the gate you're bombarded by begging children who want $1 and dozens of taxi drivers! My advice: take the excursion to the see the rain forest and swim in the waterfalls. It was the best part of our entire trip. So beautiful and peaceful. The water is crystal clear.
Don't Miss: Las Escobas waterfalls and rain forest (Gallo beer too)
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
Don't Miss: Las Escobas waterfalls and rain forest (Gallo beer too)
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Our ship was late pulling into port at Roatan. We were supposed to arrive at 1pm, but didn't get off the boat until after 4pm. So we really only had a couple of hours here. But what we saw was beautiful. You do have to take an excursion or cab and get to the other side of the island. The side that the boat stops on is not the "pretty" side.
Don't Miss: Sunset on the western side of the island.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Don't Miss: Sunset on the western side of the island.