Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Bermuda

Norwegian is Nice... but RCL is better!

Sail Date: August 01, 2008

Generally, the NCL Spirit is a nice ship, however, we've been on 2 RCL cruise ships and they are much better. Norwegian does have a slightly nicer decor than Royal Caribbean, but that's where it ends. RCL has friendlier cruise staff, better food, many, many more on-board activities, better live entertainment, more and better on-board shopping, and much better shore excursions. Norwegian did have a beter and quicker disembarkment procedure.

We went to Kid's Crew 1 time to drop our kids (3 and 4) off and it was terrible. In the 2-5 yr old area, there were about 15 crying, snotty-nosed kids and only 1 supervisor! Not only did I think this was illegal but I would never leave my kids there just to have a few free hours at the pool! The Kid's area itself is nice but understaffed. The kid's pool is well decorated (pirate theme) and there is a kid's only hot tub which was also convenient. However, there is little to no supervision by staff of this area and the floor is very slippery, on average, about 5 kids fall (hard) per hour, there are adults in the kid's hot tub which I felt was unacceptable. I don't want my 3 and 4 year old in the hot tub with hairy 50 year old men! The 'baby pool' is only like 15 inches of water, which is great for little swimmers. No swim diapers are allowed but I saw plenty of parents break this rule.

The food is average compared to RCL. There were a few really great dishes and some really terrible ones. It's impossible to find after hours food as Blue Lagoon is very small (20 seats) and only those seated get served. Only a few tv channels and none are appropriate for kids under about 10 years old. We brought our own toddler-friendly videos and played them on our laptop.

While the rooms are slightly larger than RCL rooms, I don't see how 4 people can comfortably fit in any cruise ship room. Our family of 4 got 2 adjoining rooms.

The shore excursions are basic. Snorkeling, water tours, taxi tours, museums, the beach. Very few excursions are suitable for kids under 6-8 yrs old. We didn't do any excursions with the cruise and instead found our own taxi tour and went to the beach in Bermuda. Bermuda is beautiful and we had a great time.

I would recommend this for 1st time cruisers so that when they do an RCL cruise, they will truly feel that they've 'steped up'! This cruise would be okay for singles or couples with no kids or older kids.

Pros: Decor, Room Size

Cons: Very few activities, Horrible Kid's Crew!, Food was Mediocre, Few TV Channels

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? Yes!

Food in Raffles (buffet) and Windows (Main Dining) is average. There are some great dishes and some inedible, terrible dishes, but on average, they are just plain. After hours food is impossible to find except room service which is limited. I liked the freestyle dining b/c our toddlers get hungry at the drop of a hat! The speciality restaurants are a rip-off and cost b/w $15 to $25 per person and serve almost the exact same food you find in the free dining areas.
The shows sucked! None are appropriate for kids under about 10-12 yrs old. The quality is not as good as RCL. Was like watching a 'high school' production.
Too many kids, not enough staff. Staff not friendly. Would NOT leave my kids there if they paid me!
The cruise staff was nice, when prompted, but few really go out of their way to make you feel at home. RCL staff always speaks, starts conversation and as very high customer service.