Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Couldn't Ask For More!

Sail Date: December 01, 2007

This was our first cruise - and we were a bit skeptical of the whole "cruising experience" and doubted that this vacation could be as good as our 4 and 5 star land vacations - but we must say we were totally won over by the spectacular service on the Spirit and cannot wait for our next cruise... From start to finish (from dock to dock) the crew members were polite and helpful. They continually suprised us with wonderful service throughout our 7 days. The food was wonderful, the kids crew staff and the kids crew area was unbelievably phenomenal, the excursions were bar none (we loved Belize and Roatan Island), the art gallery was a great retreat in itself, and the shows were amazing. What more can I say?! Our room was wonderful, the service and upkeep of our room was wonderful, and this trip was wonderful. We will ever forget the Spirit or the Western Caribbean - where we had the best Christmas (and more) ever!

Pros: the excursions, the staff, the kids crew, the service at Windows and Garden Restaurants

Cons: only the waiting to go to the Belize excursion from the ship

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? Yes!

The ship is wonderful. The Asian decor - from its original sailings - made it feel more swank than typical Caribbean decor. It was easy to find your way around - except the Gardens dining room - but we figure it out! And everything was always clean and tidy...which is not easy with a holiday sized sailing!!!
Being our son has several food allergies - this was our major concern going on the trip. But I have to say they went above and beyond to ensure his food was excellent. The food in the main dining rooms were superb! The waitstaff were so accomodating - and even helped us to have specially made meals ready for every meal for our very allergic son. And these were no burger and fries meals, these were gourmet and often close to what was being served on the menu so that he felt totally included! And all our food was excellent - the Christmas dinner made it very special - and our servers were very doting. But even the Blue Lagoon's food was good and the Raffles buffet did what a buffet is supposed to do - fill you up! And their ice cream bar was always a hit. (If you have allergies and are worried because of the pre-ship encounters with help prior to sailing is less than stellar - don't worry - the staff on board will rectify all that!)
The room did what it was supposed to - it gave us a place to relax after a great day of excursions! It was comfortable and the kids enjoyed the TV...since every where we went seemed to have service. The bathroom was a decent size and the shower was nice. The location of the room was wonderful - near the front elevators but near enough to the center one as well so that we got around the ship with ease. And being only one floor away from the kids crew worked well with missing the crowds coming and going from there. Oh, and the cleaning staff were also beyond nice. Always saying hi and asking about our day as we went down the halls. And our room was immaculately cleaned when we would let them in --- we like not being bothered either and they respected that as well!
I think I've already said it --- the staff was amazing. You could tell they took pride in their job and doing a job well done. The kids crew staff greeted my son by name every evening and the hostess at Windows always remembered who we were. The only staff problem we had was with an excursion staff person - who was very snooty and thought she spoke English well and didn't - she was rude while we were waiting for our excursion to Belize and rude when we wanted to purchase excursion T-shirts after an excursion - so we didn't buy the shirts. And she was also rude at the excursion departure in Cozumel - now that I think about. But one in hundreds is more than well done. But the reason for a star down in rating!
The entertainment was phenomenal! The shows each evening kept my daughter and I very much entertained. The adult evenings were also so much fun and the comedy team on the ship was awesome! I tried to do bingo once but it was so crowded that I opted out but there were definitely always something going on somewhere in the ship - and being freestyle cruising - you could go or not --- and my daughter and I went a lot and my husband did not...each his own. And not to forget to mention, the art galley gatherings and classes were wonderful and engaging. Also, we had a engine problem during our cruise and ended up on the sea a day more than intended, it happened to be Christmas day, but the staff made us forget it all with the wonderful Santa they brought in - with a toy for each kid and the shows and activities they added. It made us wish for an extra sea day on the return as well!
I cannot say enough about these extraordinary men and women. They made my son so welcomed. He needed the down time away from the family in the evening after excursions and they were always open and ready for him - free of charge. And this made it nice for the rest of the family to attend activities and shows on the ship while he was entertained. They were more than we and our son could have ever have wished for! - the hours and the service were phenomenal! We even paid for extended hours on the last night because our son wasn't ready to say good-bye! Also, we highly recommend the kids soda program and the teen passport -it gave the children a feeling of freedom while on the ship. We got our son the backpack deal (the soda program is included in this)...well worth the bucks.