Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

What happened to civility?

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

I traveled on the Norwegian Spirit on July 15, 2007 to Florida and the Bahamas. I have now been home a total of two hours, all of which has been spent posting a review so that no one else gets stuck on this ship. Having traveled on more than 65 cruises on all the major cruise lines, including NCL (pre-freestyle), I was expecting a wonderful vacation. I was greatly disappointed from beginning to end. This is a ship that normally carried approximately 2,200 passengers but was filled to capacity with 2,600 passengers. The only positive comment I can make is that the disembarkation system when we arrived back in New York was well organized and extremely efficient.
Here are some of the negatives:
* Childcare/Activity Program - the brochure spoke of a wonderful childcare center with activities for all ages. My five year old granddaughter was traveling with me and so I was pleased to see there would be facilities for her and activities to take part in. The ship was traveling to Port Canaveral (with shore excursions to Disney) so there was a strong child presence on board. What is not told to you is that the children's facilities are not accessible unless you are willing to leave your child was a counselor. There is no way to spend any time with your child nor are there any "family" activities. When we inquired as to when my granddaughter could play in the ball area and craft area, we were consistently told the only time would be 5:15 - 6:15 - clearly dinner time for most families. The room sat dormant for much of the cruise because an activity was going on in another section of the play area. This idea of having anywhere between 40 - 80 children with two counselors may be fine for someone who does not really want to spend time with their children and is looking for a 16 hour babysitter, but for those families that want to vacation together, this system is extremely ill-conceived.

* Wet and Wild Pool - in addition to the childcare center, there was a children's wet and wild pool with a hot tub. Wild is a perfect word. There was no supervision whatsoever of this pool for the entire duration of the cruise. Though signs were clearly posted stating that this section was for children 2 - 12, there were adults who spend hours at a time in the hot tub. There were numerous times where there was upwards of 70 children jammed into this pool, many of whom were older than the 12 year old limit and paid no heed to the smaller children trying to enjoy themselves. This section is much too small for a ship that is going to attract children due to the Florida port of call.

* Bedding - I was in cabin 10120 which is billed as an outside stateroom with balcony. This room had a double bed and a pull out couch which was supposed to sleep two. There is no way possible that two people, even children, could have fit in this pull out couch. When opened, the foam mattress sat on a series of eight horizontal wooden slats. These slats fell out of the bed nightly. Once a slat did fall out, you would immediately sink to the fall in the valley that had been created by the missing slat. By the last night on board, I slept on the floor so that the mattress could not fall and do me any more harm that had already been caused. This was not a problem unique to our cabin as I encountered no less than 5 other cabin residents with the exact same problem, all complaining at the front desk. Which leads me to the next item...

* Surly staff members - on the fifth day of the cruise, my cabin door key card stopped working. I could not get into my cabin so I proceeded to the front desk. I told the front desk attendant that my card had stopped working. Her reply was to say, "Well, What did you do to it?" as if I had purposely damaged the card. I replied that I had it in my wallet where it had been the entire week. She grabbed the card, huffed off and made a new one. She then said, "Well, now all the other people in your room will need to get new card

Pros: the disembarkation in New York at the of the cruise

Cons: surly staff, beds that fell apart, lines everywhere to eat with lousy food

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.

The food for the most part was inedible. Freestyle cruising is a disgrace.
As stated in the review, the beds fall apart
Surly is the only way to describe the staff
see review for details