Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Never again

Sail Date: October 19, 2006

I hate to have to bring such bad news home from our 10 day trip but.
We have cruised every year for the last 12 years. This was our second NCL.
We selected a guaranteed balcony for us and an outside cabin for my parents (We were fortunate enough to be able to take them on their first cruise in 20 years. We were very excited.) We thought it would be a great idea to travel out of NY as we are from MD and my parents from DE (no airline hassles).
After spending one night in our cabin we returned from breakfast to find a bug crawling on our curtain. I thought (rather afraid) I knew what it was but asked my mom for confirmation. Yep, sure enough, bed bugs. They were everywhere! Behind the bed, in the sleeper, in the curtains, etc. We killed and caught several and proceeded immediately to reception to speak with a manager privately. We spoke with the asst front desk manager and were told to give them an hour to figure out where they would move us to while they exterminated our cabin. After voicing my serious concerns about our personal belongings they offered to launder anything we wanted. Later that day we were moved (I should say *we* moved our belongings with out assistance) from deck 10 aft (balcony) to deck 6 very forward porthole! (Well at this point we hope it is far enough away from our original stateroom that the new one may be safe.) That took the better part of our first day at sea and we were unable to participate in any activities or formal night.
All of our empty luggage remained in the room as it was stored under the bed and we could not bring ourselves to go under there again. Im not kidding when I say it was alive! The bedding and sleeper were filthy with fecal matter, dried blood and living bugs of all sizes!
The front desk contacted us to let us know that they would extend an onboard credit, a complimentary dinner at a specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine. Big deal! The credit barley covered the difference between staterooms! They acted like it was generous! They replied that they needed authorization from Miami to do anything further.
We tried to enjoy the second day at sea but we were now experiencing inflammation from the bites we received on the first night and constant itching. Later that evening we received a call from the front desk management that Miami has extended an additional small credit. Meanwhile we still itch and can not sleep!
Finally, we get to the island itinerary (5 days) and can spend some time off of the ship and think about something other than bugs. But no, now we are overhearing other people talk about rashes, and something biting them. This how we realized the entire ship is affected. Nope we are not sleeping through the night anymore. We keep waking and itching all through the nights.
On the morning of our 8th day I awoke with a rather large bed bug running down my arm! After screaming and cursing I captured and took the little sucker to the hotel manager. I tried to explain that I feared the entire ship has a serious problem. He stated that he had a terrific extermination team however, acknowledged that docking in NYC presents a particular problem as NYC is known to have a dramatic bed bug problem. He was sympathetic as I explained that we are terrified that we are going to bring this problem home with us (as these things are efficient hitch-hikers) but offered no advice or assistance. I asked that we be provided with a letter acknowledging our complaint so I may have some instrument to persuade NCL to take some responsibility should we in fact bring this home, but that we would not get.
So we have just spent our evening emptying our suitcases in our driveway (outside), sorted our laundry into plastic bags and sealed them. We will store our luggage in the shed and hope that mice do not inhabit them until a good freeze can kill any potential bugs or eggs. My parents also have bites and they are following the same procedures. I will consult with an exterminator.

Pros: Good itinerary, departure close to home (no flight)

Cons: Bed bugs!

Bed bugs found in both rooms. (lots of them) We suffered multiple bites. Other travelers complained of itching and somthing biting them. Not aware od any other passengers seeing the bugs.
The food in most dining areas was poor to good. The food at the specialty resaraunts was very good. Example; NY strip at Windows was like leather (we sampled 4). The beef (any cut) at Cagneys ($20 Cover pp) was very good.
The ships staff were very nice. Some were very sympathetic to our situation but unable to do much. Did not assist us relocate our belonings to second stateroom. Only provided a cart.
We took in a couple of the shows (comedy and a pub performer) found them all to be very entertaining.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
The beach/water seemed a bit dirty. Brown foam and sea grass. great shopping her though!
Don't Miss: Rum Jumbie
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
What a great place! So sorry that we were only in port until 1pm. We took a catamaran snorkle and sail excursion. It was fantastic! The BVIs are so pristine! We must return and rent a boat for a week! Awesome.
Don't Miss: catamaran snorkle and sail excursion to Norman Island
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We love Megan Bay beach and the shopping in St Thomas. We were disappointed that we docked on Sunday. Most shops in town are closed on Sunday.
Don't Miss: Either Megans Bay beach or take a ferrry to Trunk Bay St John! Both top 10 most beautiful.
Bridgetown, Barbados
We keep saying that we want to return for a week. We just love the Boatyard. Entry fee includes beach chairs, umbrella, 1st drink. They have music, floating water stuff (inflatable iceberg and trampolines, rope swing from the pier) They have a bar, resaraunt and gift shop too.
Don't Miss: The Boatyard or a flying fish sandwich from Coconuts at the ship terminal. Banks beer.
St. John's, Antigua
We love Antigua.We always return to Dickenson Bay beach. It is narrow but there are chairs and umbrellas to rent. The water is calm and beautiful.
Don't Miss: Any beach. And Exotic Beauty on the wharf, they carry Tommy Bahama cheap.