A decent cruise

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: March 01, 2014
Ship: Norwegian Sky
We got on the ship early (maybe too early)\, and our room was dirty (what a disappointment). After an hour\, of being aboard\, and letting the staff know about the problem\, it still wasn't clean. Eventually\, they cleaned the room\, and made up for the problem with some chocolate strawberries and an on-board credit to our account. Guest services then checked on us a few times throughout the cruise to make sure everything was okay with our room\, which it was from then on.

The itinerary was great.

Overall\, this cruise was okay for the price.

My wife and I both have gluten intolerance\, which the staff was able to accomodate\, even without prior notice (they ask that you give 30 days notice\, but we booked the cruise last minute). The Freestyle dining was nice for scheduling\, and I could see it being a big plus for families with teenagers\, but I missed having the same waiter/waitress each night and forming that relationship (also\, we had to keep explaining the gluten intolerance\, which was a bit annoying (first world problem))

All of the typical shows and activities of a smaller boat: Broadway style show (not my cup of tea\, but good)\, Newlywed game etc.(always good)\, Comedian(really good)\, Bingo(NA)\, Dance Lessons (Fun)\, Art Auction\, Dance Parties (Not a typical thing\, nice job) etc. We had fun\, and Norwegian did a really nice job of getting people into things.

This staff was willing to help\, but you had to ask. I've cruised on several cruises before\, and I was a bit unimpressed by this staff. Not that they weren't nice (a first-time cruiser would never notice)\, but that about 70% of them didn't go above and beyond without you asking (if you've cruised before you know what I mean). I saw several people have to move out of the way in the hallway when staff was coming through (never seen that on a cruise before)\, and several times I saw workers standing around chatting\, and once even texting (not that they shouldn't have a life\, but if you're expecting the typical cruise atmosphere\, this sticks out a little).

The ship was a bit old and looked somewhat unclean (especially near guest services/atrium area). Parts of it still smelled like smoke (but not the guestroom thankfully). I really liked the fitness center\, though.

We had a balcony. Average size (maybe a bit small)\, seemed a bit dirty and run down for us\, but we had just been on a newer boat 7 years ago. The location was great. Bed was comfortable.

Pros: Norwegian seemed good at getting parties started\, and the Freestyle dining was nice.

Cons: Only some of the staff was as nice and professional as we've experienced in the past.

Recommends Norwegian Sky? Yes!