Quick Bahamas Getaway without the Crowds

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

3 Night Bahamas (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: August 26, 2011
Ship: Norwegian Sky
The thing to remember about cruising is that when you hit a port, thousands of passengers disembark together and flood the port area with customers. The smaller the ship, the fewer the crowds. The Norwegian Sky holds about 2000 passengers. This is a good medium size ship that doesn't overwhelm the ports that it stops in. Although at the port, you are there with all the other larger ships also. There was definitely a young, party atmosphere on board culminating with the white hot party which was shoulder to shoulder dancing. I am a travel agent, and was cruising alone with friends. I had an inside cabin which was extremely small but I didn't need much. I was happy to have a couch and desk in the cabin, but without a window, I became very disoriented at night and when waking up. I didn't bring a clock and kept the TV in the room off which made it more difficult to adjust. I strongly recommend getting a cabin with a window even if it's obstructed. It felt like I was sleeping in a closet. The ship had lots of lounges and options for entertainment. I don't drink or gamble so I felt a little out of place especially without my family, so I didn't really take part in much. The food was wonderful, especially in the specialty restaurants. They cost more but they were worth it. I especially loved Le Bistro, the French restaurant, and the steakhouse. The food in the free restaurants was very high quality though, so you didn't need to do the specialty restaurants unless you want a little more variety. We ended up losing a port day due to a hurricane but had one nice day in Nassau. I spent it at the Atlantis which was really a great choice. There is lots to do there and I really missed having my kids with me for this port. It is a great ship for a young couple or for a family who wants a quick Bahamas getaway. It took a few days for me to start to relax and enjoy it, and then it was over. If it's your first cruise and you're not sure how you'll feel about it, a 3-4 day cruise is a good test, but the 7 day cruises are packed with more options for entertainment, dining, ports, so I would actually recommend going for the 7 day instead as a better way to get your feet wet with cruising, but if you are looking for a fun option for a quick get away, this is a great option.