A solid introduction to cruising

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: January 30, 2012
NCL Sky gave me a very solid introduction to cruising. A 4 day trip was timed just perfectly. Not too short, and not too long. No full days at sea.

All in all, once the seasickness of the first day (apparently an abnormally rough stretch of water) wore off, the cruise experience was delightful. I'll cruise again for sure.

The food on Norwegian Sky was neither as good as people have said, nor as bad. With the exception of the lobster the first night - which was very disappointing - everything was at least good. There were a few dishes that stood out, but on the whole, the food was very consistently good but not amazing. Maybe I'm just spoiled. With that said, the specialty restaurants were absolutely worth the extra cost.

The sheer quantity made me enjoy the gym more...

I tried some of the entertainment, and as an early 30-something, I found it all pretty typically cheesy and not really aimed at me. But that's fine, because I was perfectly happy to entertain myself on the deck or at the ports of call.

It was almost ludicrous how much the staff does for guests. I'm a pretty independent guy who likes doing things for himself, and at times I felt a little guilty that staff did as much for me as they did. But there is no question that they were all going above and beyond to serve the guests.

The ship was beautiful - and as the Sky is one of the smaller NCL ships, I didn't find myself overwhelmed after the first few hours of "wow, this is big" wore off. Maps were posted everywhere, and while I got turned around a lot, I always had a pretty good idea of where I was. Everything looked very well taken care of.

I was surprised at how much bigger the oceanview stateroom was than what I pictured. Sure, it's small, but it never felt cramped. The shower was better than several hotels I'd been to, and the bedding was very clean and very comfortable. Would have preferred a room further from the front of the ship (the front is apparently more prone to motion), but all in all, no complaints from me.

Pros: The overall experience and staff treatment was A+.

Cons: Some of the food was hit or miss.

Recommends Norwegian Sky? Yes!