Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

An interesting experience on Norwegian

Sail Date: June 06, 2011

This was an ok ship for a short (4-day) cruise. I would not have enjoyed it for longer than 4 days. The ship was very stable, so it was an overall smooth ride.

Pros: The music (DJs and bands)

Cons: Slow service in the dining rooms, and just "ok" food

Recommends Norwegian Sky? No.

The quality of the food in the dining rooms was subpar. I also didn't like the fact that they rationed out certain items. For example, when I ordered oatmeal at breakfast, they brought out cinnamon, brown sugar, and raisins. When I asked the waiter to place the items on the table, I was told that the condiments were for everyone in the dining room, and he could not leave it at the table. He then proceeded to ration out the amount of each condiment, no more than 2 spoonfuls. When I asked for another scoop, he looked like I had asked him to give me his first-born child. He reluctantly gave another scoopful, but it was like pulling teeth. Also, the food in the dining room was not very tasty as all. Pretty bland overall. I went to the specialty restaurant, and the food there was very good, so I ended up eating in the specialty restaurants 3 out of the 4 nights on the ship, which is not great because it adds up when you're paying for 2 people. Service was slow all dining areas.
The size of the balcony stateroom appeared to be the same size as the ocean view statement (my friend was staying in an ocean view room). I was disappointed with that. Also the layout of the two twin beds in the room was awkward, so I was an obstacle to move around with 2 people in the room.
I was disappointed in the staff's overall friendliness. This is the 5th cruise I've been on (1st w/Norwegian), and this was by far the worst customer service I've seen. From the dining room staff, to the lack of staff on the morning of debarkation to help direct people on where to go. The staff didn't seem "happy" to be on the ship or to help you with anything.
I enjoyed the bands and DJs that were on the ship, and the variety of options was nice. I would have been nice if some of the activities didn't start so late (for example, Karaoke started at 10 or 10:30. It would have been nice if it started at 9 or 9:30).
The ship was a little dated, and I thought the balcony rooms were small compared to other cruise lines I have been on. The layout was pretty simple and generally clean. I thought it was a little odd that the public ladies' restrooms only had 2 or 3 stalls in them. They became quite crowded after a show.
I did the segway tour in Nassau, and it was interesting. There weren't a whole lot of sites to see, but it was a neat way to get around in the city. So I do recommend this excursion if you want to try something different.
Don't Miss: Segway Tour
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
We did the biking adventure excursion, and It was awesome. It was a 13 mile bike ride through Freeport, with a wonderful tour guide. We periodically stopped at different locations to rest and get some information about the area. We also stopped at a botanical garden for lunch, and at the beach for about 1 hour to relax.
Don't Miss: Biking Adventure Excursion