Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Wonderful Get-a-way

Sail Date: October 01, 2008

After reading bad reviews all summer on the Sky here and other websites, I was a little leary of the ship but was very surprised and pleased with the cruise.
The food in the buffet was your standard cruise ship buffet --nothing fancy but good. The main restuarants were very pretty but the servers were slow. The food was good. I read in other reviews that people had to wait for ever to be seated in the main restuarants. We were willing to share tables and did not have to wait at all.
Embarkation was a breeze. Being Latitudes members we checked in very quickly. (The man that checked us in was grouchy but NCL couldn't help that..)
I have never been greeted by so many staff members as we boarded the ship (and I have been on 2 other NCL ships) as well as Carnival, Holland America, and RCL.
I had read that the staff was not friendly---we did not find this to be true. Everyone was nice and friendly and would speak when they passed you on the ship.
Our room stewards, Ricardo and Jeffrey, on the 8th floor were great. My mother wanted to bring Ricardo home with us. On one occasion he went above and beyond his duty. Needless to say he got an extra tip from us.
Our outside room was very nice. The guys kept it very clean all time.
The ship was clean (contrary to other things I have read). We saw one young man down on this knees polishing the tile on one deck. We never smelled the sewage odor and we went all over the ship. The 3 decks of the Atrium were very pretty. Our air conditioner and bathroom worked fine.
The ship was smaller than some. I have been on the largest afloat (RCL). I thought it was a good size.
I have read complaints on Freestyling that you do not get to meet other cruisers at dinner like the other ships' assigned tables. If you are willing to share larger tables you do meet other folks---you're just not with the same ones every meal. We met several folks and enjoyed the company of those folks at our tables.
The Hawaiian decor did not bother us. The palm trees and some of the other decor fit in fine with the Bahamas.
Last fall when we cruised (on the NCL Spirit) I did not know that I had cancer so after a hard year dealing with health problems, my mother and I took this cruise to celebrate my good health. We went with a good attitude. I think some folks have gone on this ship with a bad attitude and found everything to be bad.

Pros: Size, Price, Staff, Freestyling

Cons: No chairs on Promanade deck (this was my 8th cruise and first ship wih no chairs on this deck)

Recommends Norwegian Sky? Yes!