Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Norwegian Sky Lovely to Bahamas

Sail Date: October 01, 2009

This was our first cruise. I found boarding the SKY pretty easy as I had arrived about 10:30am or 11 ish. I was able to board the boat pretty quicky. I took the advice of an earlier reviewer and checked in all my bags including my carry ons...as the rooms are not available till about 2pm....many people were walking around waiting for their rooms and dragging their carry ons with them...definitely check them so your hands free as you have lunch and explore the ship, Overall I found the ship to be very pretty, well maintained with a very attentive staff. I was on the 10th floor in a balcony located in the middle of the ship. The ride was pretty smooth there. I was concerned about being below the pool area as it's quite the party place. Although I could here the dj music when i was out on the balcony i didn't mind at all. Somewhere around 6 to 7am I was awoken by the dragging of the chairs on the deck above. I made a call to reception to very nicely mention the noise....they were very very very receptive, apologetic. The problem did not occur again! The staff not only followed up with me to be sure the situation was resolved but provided me a complementary bottle of wine for my trouble...I was very impressed!

One must understand I'm from Boston....the food at restaurants here is fabulous...i was somewhat disappointed with the food in the restaurants. I ordered soups like the crab wonton....just wasn't "right," and the there was an egg drop hot/sour soup as well the just seemed, "off," I ordererd the prime rib and got 2 very thin slices of meat.. although it was tasty it was way too small of a portion. It didn't occur to me till about my 3rd day of my 4 day cruise that i could have ordered more menu items. My friends ordered the salmon which looked quite good and they seemed to enjoy it...desserts were very pretty but again...just ok. I found the buffet at deck 11 to be the most popular place to eat...and for buffet food it was very good...they had a caring station, a pasta station...and breakfast was ok as well...with freshly made belgian waffles being made as well as omelettes. We enjoyed eating outside on the deck at 11 and like the fact that there was a buffet available right there. So remmber to walk right into the buffet...thru the indoor dining area to the back....for another full buffet that is open air. I did spend and additional 35 dollars on my last cruise evening at Cagney's Steakhouse on the ship, i found the overall quality of the food in the pay for restaurant to be much better although my surf and turf lobster tail although very large was not very tasty....again, I'm from the northeast...where Maine Lobsters are avail all the time. At Cagney's I ordered the shrimp cocktail ...they were HUGE and delicous.....but It seemed they were coated with an oil dressing of some sort...not what I"m used too, generally shrimp cocktail is cold and not seasoned....although i did enjoy it. I also ordered the lobster bisque. The presentation was lovely, it didn't taste like my traditional lobster bisque here in the n east, and was a bit too salty but still very good. My main course again was the surf and turf. The filet mignon was very tasty and tender...but I do believe my lobster tail was a bit under cooked. My side dishes were creamed spinach...which was very good and the gratin potatoes also very good. The staff was wonderful as well

I had a stateroom with a balcony. Although i was a bit tight as I had a double bed in it, I was thrilled to have a balcony cabin. I found the room to be very clean and neat. I did wipe off the phone as I"m fussy about that and the TV was a bit old and have a very limited amount of channels available. CNN was avail, but most of the channels were promotional in nature but i did find them informative. I found our bathroom a bit old though. Our shower curtain seemed a bit dirty...but when I called and asked for another one...again staff was wonderful and quick to re

Pros: The Boat and Staff were wondeful

Cons: the food in the free restaurants was just, "OK,"

Recommends Norwegian Sky? Yes!

very fussy north easterner..food in restaurants is generally exceptional here in Boston area...i found the free restaurant food on the sky...justl, "OK,"
lovely ship bathrooms need updating
had a balcony...vey nice old tv...and bathroom as mentioned previously a bit old but very clean
staff above average...excellent customer service
didn't partake too much on board but looked very good