Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Money pit cruise

Sail Date: April 06, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Pool not heated....not enjoyable by anyone - even the kids were complaining! The great areas of the ship were going to cost you. They made a lot of room for shops, spa, photo opportunities, coffee bars, etc - anything to make more money. Ping pong and shuffle board were the only free enoyable unscheduled passtimes. Cruise line did not allow us to go on our pre-purchased excursion because they were reduced the allowance of participants. We had to pay an additional $150 per person to choose something else in order to have plans. They could have told us ahead of time to allow for researching alternatives. How can they sell something they're not guaranteed!? I'm upset that we could have been left with nothing to do except hanging out on a beach all day, but also that I had to pay another $500 in order to participate in an excursion last minute. Not in the budget. All they said at Norweigen was it was out of their control. Not acceptable!

Pros: When we were on shore

Cons: Lack of customer service you expect on a cruise ship

Recommends Norwegian Sky? No.

What happened to ice sculptures and fancy foods? Buffet had same food everynight. Additional money to get a good meal at a good even more for "special foods". You expect lobster and crab on a cruise ship for free! You can only eat so many burgers and hot dogs and pizza/pasta.
The cleanliness was horrible - bathroom smelled, room got straightened, but not cleaned - even found a shoe under the bed from previous guests! What happened to getting to know your name and fancy napkin animals on your bed at night?
Overall, customer service has take a huge plunge due to the fact that gratuity is already included in everything, so no one goes the extra mile for you. What happened to the room staff getting to know your name?
Missed a port the first day, so decided to spend an hour in the spa getting pampered. I tried to make an appointment for a deep tissue massage. Receptionist tried to get me to do their stone massage. I told her I prefer a traditional style. She told me it was only $20 more for the stone. When I reassured her it was due to my preference, not because of the addtional money, she told me she was not able to get me in until later in the day. Then, the therapist was 10 minutes late and didn't make up the 10 minutes she was late, but also stopped my massage an additional 10 minutes early to sell me muscle tension relief products for over $200. Not what I expected for over $200 50 minute massage...because again - tip was included already!
Atlantis water park was great. Dolphin interaction was great - expensive photos at the end. Great customer service at Atlantis all around.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
I don't know if there's a lot of people who can handle being in the sun for over 6 hours, but it was a great day at the beach. Beautiful water - snorkeling was amazing. Lots of fish to see.
Don't Miss: Snorkeling!