Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Did not meet my expectations

Sail Date: March 02, 2009

This was my first cruise so I have nothing to base it on. I felt the ship was fairly clean and nice. The staff obviously worked hard to keep it clean.

Pros: staff were friendly and helpful

Cons: We were not able to reach all our destinations, felt the extra charges for items were confusing

Recommends Norwegian Sky? Yes!

When I first got on the ship I was confused by the layout but once I got the hang of it I did fine. I did not feel there was enough seating in the buffet area at mealtime. I did not like having to "cut through" the casino to get through floor 7. I always ended up smelling like cigarettes after walking on floor 7.
I did not feel there was enough seating in the buffet area at mealtime. It did not seem to matter what time I went, there were always crowds of people and nowhere to sit. It was difficult to balance my food and my drink, find a seat, etc. I was traveling alone and it was impossible to go back for seconds and still keep my table. Either someone would take my plate away or they would dump garbage on my table (from other tables) thinking I was done when I wasn't. The food was quite good, although some of it tasted bland (rice and stir fry mostly). I really thought the fruit served was delicious and very fresh-tasting. I had a fresh-made omelet one morning that was delicious. The meat at the carving station was delicious. The fresh-made deli sandwiches were wonderful. I also received room service a few times and had nothing but good experiences. I did feel that it was unfair to be charged for sodas. Unlike alcoholic drinks, soda does not cost that much.
My room was small but about what I expected. My bed was very comfortable. I'm sure there is no way to make the showers any bigger but that is my only complaint. Mine was very small, and my shampoo dispenser leaked for the entire trip, getting shampoo all over the shower.
Because I was traveling alone I didn't participate in the majority of the activities. I tried the casino but didn't really understand how the machines worked. I would have played bingo but didn't know if it cost extra to play. I would give the quality of instruction a D on the grading scale.
The staff made the cruise for me. EVERYONE I saw was friendly, smiling, willing to help. Even before I got on the ship! I had trouble finding my rental car location and almost missed the cruise because of it. Louis (a supervisor in the Miami office) stayed on the phone with me giving me directions. I would not have made the cruise without him. If there is any way you can thank him for me PLEASE do so!
I did the glass bottom boat/harbor tour. Well worth it and I got great pictures. Almost everything else within walking distances was just stores and American restaurants which isn't what I travel for.