Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Not so much

Sail Date: September 01, 2008

Due to Tropical Storm Hannah, our ship changed itineraries from a Bahamas cruise to a Mexican/Key West cruise. We liked the new destinations, but we felt that the food and the food service was really lacking. It was evident that NCL was trying to cut corners in little ways such as trying to end carving stations early, offering cheaper fish choices such as Mahi-Mahi instead of Salmon or Grouper, and no Sushi bar. We were disappointed that this ship was older, and the design was downright odd. We often found ourselves at dead-end hallways, haging to double-back and go up one deck. Our cabin was on deck 9 - one of the higher decks, and yet the vibration from the engine kept me up most nights. I tried to use the excellent, 500 meter jogging track on two different days. On the first day, the staff hosed it down without squeegee so it was as slippery as glass. The second day, a painting crew decided to paint, leaving me to jog while inhaling noxious fumes. On the third day, I used the gym. It was open at 630am, but no staff present, so I was relagated to watching CNN without volume because you need headphones (which I did not bring with me). When we disembarked in Key West, we had to clear customs, making our 7-hour in port time a mere 4 hours. Oddly, when we went from Key West to Miami, we had to clear customs AGAIN, even though we went from Key West FLORIDA, to Miami, FLORIDA. I could keep going but you get the idea - Staff filling pitchers at juice fountain while a line of guests wait to get juice, 13 inch TVs in cabins with only Fox News (I guess Republicans run NCL, which isn't bad if you're a Republican), etc.

Pros: Lucky change in itinerary

Cons: Service and Old Boat

Recommends Norwegian Sky? No.

Dead ends and poor buffet design equal passenger frustration.
By the 4th day, I had a streak of 5 consecutive meals where Mahi-Mahi was offered. Room Service menu extremely, extremely limited. One hour and 45 minutes for one and only room service order - 4 cookies and 3 brownies.
Newly refurbished cabins were evident. Typical cruise ship cabin - it's gonna be tight - what can you do?
Some tried to be helpful but seemed hamstrung by NCL cutbacks. On the other hand, some were oblivious to the fact that we guests are present!
Same comedian did three different shows. One for each night of the cruise. Really? Couldn't they find any other guy?
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island