Norwegian Sky (RETIRED) Cruise Review

This was our second cruise aboard the Norwegian Sky. Last year, we did the Eastern Caribbean, and on Feb. 9, 2002, we did the Western Caribbean. This was the first time we have done a repeat cruise on the same cruise line or the same ship. We didn't know if the Sky could live up to our memories of our first cruise.We were not disappointed. It was as good, if not better, than our first cruise. It felt like coming home. We didn't have to look around because we already knew where everything was. We thought that maybe this would take away from our usual excitement, but it did not.Freestyle cruising is the only way to go. I love not having to be at dinner at any particular time. If you like having the same waiter every night, then find a waiter you like and request him. We've done that on both cruises and it works out quite well for us. My wife and I are on a schedule all year long, so we really appreciate not being on a schedule on our vacation. I also enjoy not worrying about the tips at the end of the cruise. I wish every cruise line would do this. We also enjoy not having to get all dressed up for formal nights. We are much more comfortable with resort casual attire. Hooray for Norwegian Cruise Line!NCL took care of our only major complaint from last year's cruise. You can now purchase cigarettes duty-free on board the ship. This made us feel like NCL had really listened to us and made this change to accommodate their passengers.This year's Cruise Director and staff were the best we've ever encountered. They made the cruise a real delight. Last year, we didn't make it to any of the shows. This year we did, and now we know what everyone was raving about. Norwegian definitely has the best entertainment at sea, no one else even comes close.The food was as wonderful as we remembered. I can't understand what others are complaining about in other reviews I have read. The only thing we can figure out is that some people are not used to eating this well and maybe don't appreciate truly good food. We tried one of the specialty restaurants this time, Horizons. It was fantastic. The romantic atmosphere alone was worth the $10 per person cover charge, not to mention the service and the food.Don't make the same mistakes we did last year. Go to a specialty restaurant at least once, and go to the shows. You won't be disappointed.If it sounds like we are biased toward Norgwegian Cruise Line, it's probably because we are. This was our fifth cruise and it was honestly our best one yet. We are considering going on Celebrity's Mercury, for the second time, this fall and I, for one, have reservations about the trip. They have fixed dining times and formal and semi-formal nights. Who knows, we might just end up back on Norwegian again this fall. I know we wouldn't be disappointed.We have read some really terrible reviews about Norwegian Cruise Line online. If we had judged Norwegian by these reviews we wouldn't have sailed on the Sky. I can tell you that would have been our loss. These were the two best vacations my wife and I have ever had and we've had many. Norwegian Cruise Line may not be the biggest cruise line, but in our opinion, the others have some catching up to do, to equal the Norwegian cruise experience.